Vim mode, new window, navigation gets messed up

When navigating in vim mode in a new window pane, things get… weird. Where the cursor says you are, and where you actually are, get out of sync. If you moved down three lines (jjj) for instance, then hit i for insert, you will be on the 4th line down, not the third. It’s a bit hard to explain, but easy to replicate. This has been present since the new window feature was rolled out.

There is a template for bug reports.

Have you tested this in the Sandbox vault? And please share your “Show debug info”.

Thank you for that suggestion. I didn’t realize that a new vault resets everything, including themes and plugins. Great for replicating.

Having said that, I can NOT replicate in a Sandbox. I’ll control some more variables and see when it pops up so I can target the bug more appropriately.

I stand corrected. It DOES happen in the Sandbox. In both environments, there is no clear replication path at all that I can find. It sometimes can take days before it “loses the thread” to speak.

Here is a screen capture that clearly shows the cursor in one point, and when you go into VI mode the activity is in another place. 2022-10-04_14-58-00.mp4

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.15.6
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Wed Aug 10 14:25:27 PDT 2022; root:xnu-8020.141.5~2/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

1 Like

Thanks for the screen recording. I wonder, does it seem related to the undo stack in any way? I remember an old bug many versions ago where the undo stack would get a bit out of sync.

I haven’t been able to recreate this yet. (Not that there is anything I can do about it.)

Do you have this problem?

I can replicate that, yes. I regularly use multiple desktops in MacOS so it could definitely be related. Don’t specifically remember moving my notes around but it could be the same replication path.