Vim mode `i` command cursor insert position is wrong

Steps to reproduce

1. Enable the Vim mode.
  2. Start editing a new note.
  3. Enter insert mode, type fob, exit insert mode (with ESC)
  4. Position the cursor (while still in Vim normal mode) on the o in fob.
  5. Press i.

Expected result

The insertion cursor is between the letters f and o, just like it would be in Vim.

Actual result

The insertion cursor is between the letters o and b.

This makes the i command in Vim mode useless because it behaves just like the a command. So instead of having two commands, one that places the insertion cursor before and one after the current letter, we have two commands that do the same thing.

I recommend comparing both i and a commands in Vim versus Obsidianā€™s Vim mode. Youā€™ll see they donā€™t position the cursor the same.

For users that have used Vim keybinds for decades, this makes Obsidian incredibly difficult to use (seriously, I am both unable and unwilling to undo decades of muscle memory).

Environment

• Operating system:
$ uname -a 
Linux debian 5.10.0-8-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.46-5 (2021-09-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release:	11
Codename:	bullseye
  • Obsidian version: 0.12.19

Additional information

2 Likes

I canā€™t repro. Post a screen recording of this happening in the help vault.

1 Like

Iā€™ve done some testing and the problem occurs when using the ā€˜Fancy cursorā€™ option from the ā€˜Advanced Appearanceā€™ community plugin.

See this issue and this PR.

3 Likes

rstk got it right. It appears to be a super confusing but visual-only issue, except that I do not have the ā€œAdvanced Appearanceā€ plugin installed and Iā€™ve never heard of the ā€œFancy cursorā€ option. I do use the following community plugins:

• Minimal Theme Settings
  • Obsidian Git
  • Vimrc support

I also use the Minimal Theme theme. Maybe itā€™s a shared dependency or some copy-pasted code? The issue I see sounds exactly like the one described by rstk.

I can confirm that itā€™s not possible to repro this in the help vault (which is a super convenient way to test out plugin interactions without having to roll everything back, so props to that idea).

2 Likes

Switching from Minimal Theme back to Default makes the issue go away. So thatā€™s the culprit.

Iā€™ll just go back to the default theme then. Thanks everyone for your help!

2 Likes

Thank you for identifying this