Vileplume - a dark theme

I am on MacOS 10.14.6 - Mojave, and to read the PDF I use Skim, a MacOS-only PDF reader.

As for the sharing the markdown, I am not sure what you mean, but here is the quote plus the 2 normal markdown lines above it.

The court stated, the test’s reliability depends on the number of cycles used and the viral load present. Citing Jaafar et al. 2020, the court concludes that:

> if someone is tested by PCR as positive when a threshold of 35 cycles or higher is used (as is the rule in most laboratories in Europe and the US), the probability that said person is infected is less than 3%, and the probability that said result is a false positive is 97%. <div class="signature"><span style="font-size:20px">Portuguese appeals court</span></div>

I am not sure I have provided it in the right way. If you need more, let me know.

@hungsu I sent you the whole .md file via DM.

hi @hungsu , just to say thank you. your theme looks beautiful :slight_smile:


Thanks @hungsu for the beautiful theme, and for fixing the list alignment bug so quickly after I reported it!

Wish that themes would prompt you to update so that everyone gets the improved version.

Make sure you :purple_heart: this feature request…

1 Like

Hello. Love the theme.I would like to modify it a little… how can I

  1. Change H1 to be the same font as H2 ?
  2. Reduce the font size for every header, by 1 or 2?
  3. Make the hash (#) in front of headers smaller and a lighter shade of the heading colour?


@smooth_black_rock click on the Github link in the topmost comment here. That will take you to an interesting collection of CSS snippets, including for headings.

Thanks for the tip. I tried randomly playing around with the CSS…to no avail. I have no experience with it. Perhaps someone with knowledge of how this works might be able to point me to the line where I can play around. I’ve attached the file.
Vileplume - orig.css (16.1 KB)

@smooth_black_rock did you really check out the Github site? Did you open the file? Did you scroll down that file a bit?

If so, you would have seen the code for Coloured headings for editor and preview in Dracula, which shows code like:

.cm-header-1, .markdown-preview-view h1
  font-family: var(--font-family-editor);
  font-weight: 500;
  font-size: var(--font-size-h1);
  color: var(--text-title-h1);

You can leave off font-weight and color, and you have the answer to your questions 1 and 2.

For the hash size here is the code:

.cm-s-obsidian pre.HyperMD-header > span > span:first-child {
  font-size: 5px;

Your suggestion doesn’t work. This is the section I see in Vileplume.css:,
.markdown-preview-section.markdown-preview-section h1 {
    font-family: var(--font-title);
    font-weight: 400;
    text-shadow: 1px 1px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    2px 2px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    3px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    4px 4px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    5px 5px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    6px 6px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    7px 7px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    8px 8px rgba(0,0,0,0.05),
    9px 9px rgba(0,0,0,0.05)

Removing font-weight doesn’t fix it and there is no color reference.

I added your second code block to the bottom of the file and it doesn’t change anything either.

Am I editing the correct file?

@smooth_black_rock does this do it:,
.markdown-preview-section.markdown-preview-section h1 {
    font-family: Arial; /* replace with your font of choice */
    font-size: 18px; /* replace with your font of choice */

You also asked about the hash: does my code in the previous comment work for that?

Neither of those work. I attached the css file up thread in case you would like to see the structure. I can program Python but css is a complete mystery to me, unfortunately.

@smooth_black_rock last attempt:

.cm-s-obsidian .cm-header-1,
.markdown-preview-view h1 {
  font-family: Arial;
  font-size: 18px;

Hi there! So glad you like my theme!

I see @Klaas has been doing an amazing job supporting in my absence, so sorry about the delay!

I’m working on a couple of fixes for you. It’s 10:16pm where I am but I should hopefully have something for you before bed, please hold :slight_smile:

Hi @smooth_black_rock , i’d like you to do a couple of things:

First, update Vileplume in the Obsidian settings with this update button:

Next, download this snippet, put it in your .obsidian/snippets folder, and turn it on from the Appearance menu in Obsidian. Hopefully this gives you the look you want!
vileplume-heading-mod.css (350 Bytes)

Also Klaas, wanted to say thank you again for the support - I’m not sure how you do it! I’ve been seeing you everywhere - both my themes, Discord, looking after everyone’s themes not just mine!

1 Like

Thank you! A thing of beauty!

And for the final bit…if there was a way to shave off some size on each heading, so that H1 and H2 were maybe 20% smaller (…and then scale H3, H4 to be proportional, ending up with H4 being only a tiny bit larger than normal bold text)

I love the font and colours!

1 Like

Glad it worked!

I’ve attached a new snippet with some additional selectors. See each line which says font-size. You should be able to adjust those to suit your taste. I’ve adjusted it a little to guess what you might want, but you should be able to do the rest on your own to suit you :slight_smile:

vileplume-heading-mod.css (725 Bytes)

Nice, thank you. And where is the section where I can change the size of the hash?

If you look for this line: {
    font-size: 1rem;

You can change font-size here to anything you like. I was a bit cryptic and used rem, but you can use px here if you prefer of course

Bearing in mind 1rem = 16px.