Viewing all page mentions one on page?

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

Hello everyone!

I set Obsidian for a while and tried other methods to record my thoughts. What made me come back to this system was a trial of Roam. Although I loved the usability of Roam I just can’t trust their privacy policy.

That being said, there is a feature that is incredibly important to me. I feel that Obsidian must have this capacity and I’m just not seeing it.

What I’d like to do:

See all linked mentions on the page they are mentioned.
For instance, if I have [[Personal]] on one of my pages, I want that mention to show on the Personal page. This will help me see a high-level view of the mentions so I can build the page out and understand the connections in my brain a bit more. With Roam, I have the capacity to do this.

If there is no capacity for Obsidian to do this then what is the alternative? I’m sure there is something simple that I’m just not seeing.

Thank you!

Are you looking for something different from the backlinks pane?

https://help.obsidian.md/Plugins/Backlinks

If your note is in Preview mode, you can put backlinks at the bottom of the note, Roam-style. Tap the triple-dot menu on the note to find this option. (It is manual-only for now, but there’s a feature request to make it default: How to show backlinks in document by default?

I think I’m looking for a more simplistic way to do this. Maybe I just need to get used to the program. On another note, is there a way to turn a page mention into a folder?

For instance, when I mention [[dissertation]] I’d like it to be viewable in the main [[dissertation]] folder I created. Is this possible? I’m trying to figure out how to organize my research.

Thank you.

That’s fair—keeping the backlinks pane pinned on a sidebar is probably your best bet!

Not really. You could create an index of linked pages in a note using an embedded search or by installing and using the Dataview plugin.

https://blacksmithgu.github.io/obsidian-dataview/

The Vantage plugin can help you create and embed complex search queries:

Thank you, Ryan!

1 Like

Oh, another plugin might do exactly what you’re looking for:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.