Video Tutorial Obsidian_to_Anki

Hey everyone,

I just made a tutorial for the amazing plug in Obsidian_to_Anki
by @Pseudonium

Blogpost

I also wrote a complementary post on my website with some written instructions for the video.

https://santiyounger.com/obsidian-anki/

Hope you enjoy it, and thanks again to @Pseudonium for the great work!

10 Likes

Ah! beat me to it! love the thumbnail Santi :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Thanks man! Looking forward to your video! Do you use the neurachache format or another one?

i use the full syntax that @Pseudonium lists out as i like seeing all the fields laid out. But because of the size of that syntax i plan to take each file and use a template to make a child note for each file with [[{{title}} Anki Cards]] to hold them all and not spam my normal notes. another reason i don’t like the neuracache format is that i don’t use #tags the was most do and i don’t want the tag spam :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I get you, I’ve seen how you avoid using tags for topics. I’m a heavy tag user, so the tag spam doesn’t bother me, but I do see why other formats can avoid this.

Awesome, looking forward to learning more about your anki setup man!

1 Like

mine be lookin like this these days:

1 Like

@santi Thanks for the video walk through! I’ve been itching to use this for a long time now, but I know nothing about coding and the non-plug in, python script version was a bit too much for me.

Now that it’s a plug-in and more my speed, can’t wait to dive in. And your video was a big help.

@tallguyjenks you should definitely include how to make that anki skin in your next video! Looks amazing.

1 Like

that is one epic graph, I love these type of graph, it reminds me of taskwarrior reports!
So cool man, I’m just getting started with Anki (once again) I’ve been on and off with it for a few years, but now with these awesome plugin allowing us to create quick card from plain text files, I’m super excited to start properly using it.

TLDR; love your graph, huge inspiration @tallguyjenks

1 Like

hey @wyler thank you so much for your kind reply! I get you I did go through the whole python setup and I do admit is tricky and time consuming, which is why, like you said, this community plugin is a game changer and relatively easy to set up considering how powerful it is!

let me know if you have questions, feel free to ask them here, or Youtube comment if you prefer!

Thanks!

I get this error while running the obstoanki_setup.py file

error in line 7
<!DOCTYPE html>
invalid syntax

Python version 3.9 running on Win 10

Hi Bryan! Can you please tell me if this plugin works for Neuracache App? And if it does, can you make a video tutorial about it? Keep up the good work man.

3 Likes

@verma Are you setting up the python script or the obsidian community Plugin?
They work the same way but the obsidian community plugin is a much easier setup

Obsidian community plugin.

I tried following the steps given in the obsidian plugin page Obsidian_to_anki, but I get this error.

1 Like

if you’re using neuracache you dont need a plugin at all. if you want to use the plugin, you don’t use neuracache you’re using Anki. I got video plans in the works :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get you @verma, what I’d recommend is opening up an issue in github

you can describe your situation and hopefully the creator can help you figure out, just make sure to describe as much as you can as well as what version of the plug in and version of obisidian you are using.

If you write an issue, feel free to link it here to take a look at it.

1 Like

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why do you use Obsidian and Anki together? What’s the added value of Obsidian? From the tutorials I’ve seen so far, you use Obsidian just as a tool to add new cards to Anki, but using directly Anki for adding cards would be much faster.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the comment on YouTube @Dangal I replied there, but for the sake of anyone else reading this in the forum I’ll write it here too.

Why Use This Plugin

It’s simply a way to quickly create card to use in Anki, it’s for those of us who might have a long written list of cards we want to input into Anki, doing it one by one directly in anki through copy paste can be tedious. This is why doing it from Obsidian can be a lot quicker and beneficial for some people.

This is of course mostly aimed for users who want to create most anki cards from scratch. There are a lot of pre-made anki decks one can download, in that case there’s no reason to use this plugin.

Of course, one can be used to creating each card one by one from anki. In which case there’s no need for this plugin. It’s a completly optional feature for those who feel they have a need for it.

Additional Note:

Personally I find writing in Obsidian in a plain text .md file a lot quicker than doing it in Anki.

I also use vim-mode (settings > editor > vim keybidings) to write in Obsidian, which for me speeds up the process of writing and editing text significantly, this is something I can’t do in Anki.

I also like the fact that if I’m taking notes in obsidian, I can quickly add a new anki card that came to mind in obsidian and I can later sync it to be in anki, which reduces a barrier to create more notes.

1 Like

Hi @santi
Can you explain more your workflow with taskwarrior and obsidian ?

1 Like

Hey @bepolymathe task warrior is amazing, but I stopped using it for now. There are plugins in task warrior that allow for a task to be synced to an .md file with the help of vimwiki.

I enjoyed it, but it’s too cumbersome and it requires a lot of set-up and still has some technical difficuties / barriers.

I still think taskwarrior is excellent for people who really enjoy using the terminal a lot, but I might have been wrong in saying it integreates well with obsdian, since it’s not that easy to use that way.