Vault automatically removed from list of available vaults

Steps to reproduce

Every time Windows automatically installs updates and restarts the PC automatically, my vault stored on a Bitlocker encrypted drive vanishes from the vault list because the drive has not been unlocked prior to Obsidian re-launching. I then have to re-open a vault from a folder, wait for Obsidian it to reindex everything, then reconnect it to Obsidian Sync!

1. Add a new hard drive to the PC.
  2. Bitlocker encrypt the new drive. Ensure a password has to be entered to reconnect the drive after each reboot.
  3. Create an Obsidian vault within the new hard drive.
  4. Connect that vault to Obsidian Sync.
  5. Leave Obsidian running.
  6. Wait for Windows to install updates and automatically restart the PC. Once Windows has restarted it’ll automatically reopen applications that were already running (including Obsidian).
  7. Obsidian no longer shows the vault listed in the available vaults.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes - Sandbox not applicable to this issue.

Expected result

Previously connected vaults should remain in the available list of vaults to open. An error message should popup if the vault is currently unavailable, e.g. the drive containing the vault still needs to be connected.

Actual result

User needs to re-open the folder as a vault, wait for reindexing to complete, and reconnect Obsidian sync.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

I have multiple vaults open at the same time, and only 1 is stored on my Bitlocker encrypted drive.

1 Like