Using Tasks and Kanban plugin together

What I’m trying to do

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any solutions to using the Tasks and Kanban plugin together in the following way. With Tasks, you can have custom statuses for your tasks, but these seem not to work well with the Kanban plugin. There are two main issues I’m trying to work around:

1. When dragging a card to a “Done” column in Kanban which marks the task as complete, this does not update the “date completed” tag at the end of a task as the Tasks plugin does when clicking to complete a task. Is there any way to get the dragging to work with this auto-updating from Tasks?

2. Is there any way to make dragging a card to a different column update its status to a custom status? For example, can you drag a card to a lane labeled “In Progress” and sync it with Tasks to update the status to be a custom “in progress” one?

Things I have tried

I’ve tried looking at the markdown underlying the Kanban boards and don’t see a lot of room to change things currently. Given every card is a task under the hood, I was surprised to see that Tasks wouldn’t automatically update the date completed when dragging. The second ask seems a bit harder to implement, unless there’s scripting potential in using specific headers related to a task to change its status that I missed in the documentation.

I might be looking at the wrong tools to try to achieve my desired workflow, so alternate suggestions are appreciated! Essentially I wanted a nice UI from Kanban to organize how my tasks can go through different phases/stages of progress, and then query recently completed/custom statuses for other landing pages.

8 Likes

I’m in the same boat.
I use custom statuses a lot, but if I move any cards around on a Kanban board, it sets all my custom statuses to “Done,” and I’ve got to go back and set them to what they were.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! I would also love to be able to integrate obsidian-tasks and the kanban plugin.

I imagine a part of this could involve having a standardized format for dates, which I know people have posted about in the past. Right now there’s cardboard, kanban, tasks, and dataview (and projects, as it uses metadata). Perhaps the “task management” item on the obsidian roadmap would be involved.

Unfortunately I’m not sure how to help, because I am trying to do something similar. I would like to input my tasks in daily notes (if they are not associated with a specific project) or a project note (otherwise) and have them all viewable and modifiable with the kanban plugin.

Thanks for bringing this up!

What does this mean?

Is it possible to create a task in Note A and it will show in a kanban board elsewhere?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.