Using QuickAdd and Dataview/Templater to Add Metadata from Referenced Note into Current Note?

Things I have tried

Searching through this forum, reddit, and google, and messing around with dataview, templater, and QuickAdd macros. Apologies if I’ve missed a solution that is already posted somewhere.

What I’m trying to do

I am looking for a way to insert a metadata field (e.g., my-field) from a referenced note into the body of the current note, not as a dataview query result but as actual text in the current note.

For example, Note 1 contains the following: my-field:: example text. I’m wondering if there is anyway using QuickAdd and dataview (or maybe some other method) to (1) query Note 1 for the string in “my-field,” and (2) insert that string where my cursor is placed in Note 2. (Hope this makes sense!)

The result should look something like:

Note 1
my-field:: example text

Note 2
example text

Thank you!

How does “Note 2” know that it needs to query “Note 1”? Should it always get my_field from “Note 1”?

Or put another way, you say from a referenced note, How is it referenced?

Good question. Ideally, I would be able to specify the referenced note as part of the QuickAdd macro.

In other words, the current note (Note 2) would not always reference the same Note 1.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.