Using Notion in parallel with Obsidian (external link URI suggest)

I use Obsidian for personal second-brain style knowledge management and I use Notion for various collaborative projects, within my company and in other workspaces too. I believe this is a common setup, Notion being one of the most popular too for team-wide knowledge management.

I’d love to be able to link external documents in my personal space. Suppose, I work on some project that has an extensive documentation in Notion, but I want to reflect on it in my personal space.

Obviously, I can link it manually with just http link or even notion:// scheme. However, the need to go to Notion every time to find a page and get a link to it is cumbersome.

I have two (different) ideas on how to solve this problem:

1. To have a full-blown plugin that is able to autosuggest my Notion pages similar to how Obsidian autosuggests internal links. With time, It can even support more sources, such as Github issues, Jira tickets or whatever. It probably will require authentication in external system and utilise its API, which is a substantial level of complexity.

2. Autosuggest any external links based on what links are already present in my Vault. When I enter single-bracket ([]) link, I could have autosuggest from all external links I’ve already made, complete with link text I’ve used. This seems to be quite easy to implement, universal and effective in use.

I’d love to participate in development of such plugins.

9 Likes

I work in this way as well. Would be happy to provide feedback on this.

2 Likes

This is a great idea, I have a similar usecase, in general I use Notion for anything that requieres a table (database),collaboration or task managment.

But anything that relates to Knowledge managment, and anything I want to futureproof goes in Obsidian.

What I currently do is copy notion URL links to obsidian, and ID numbers from obsidian into Notion, for a two way linking process.

I fully support this idea, it’d be amazing to make the process more integrated once there’s a Notion API

2 Likes

+1

I mainly use Notion as a working document (e.g. table, database) or for notes that have higher layout requirement (e.g. notes need to be shared publicly).

And I use Obsidian for daily note-taking, which is less distractive and more smooth.

1 Like

Is there a way for me to expedite it and help with development? I can write PR or proper specification or even try to implement it as plugin, if that’s possible.

(I’m a CTO-level engineer with 20 years of experience, proficient in frontend tech)

Thinking about it, I believe that autosuggest for external links based on previously entered links is a way to go.

2 Likes

hey @neoromantic a plugin would be amazing, perhaps once Notion’s API is released things might be easier to implement. (I heard they are about to pre-release it)

Really looking forward to it, the only reason I ever use notion over Obsidian is when I need an advanced database (notion table) which would be amazing to have in Obsidian, but is perhaps too difficult to achieve.

2 Likes

Hello everyone, I am new to Obsidian, but I found this thread, because I am also looking to use Obsidian and Notion in parallel. I just wanted to pass this along. I have discovered that iCloud will generate a URL that can be pasted in Notion (whether as a hyperlink or as an “Embed” in a file) that will open to the file in Obsidian.

Using the process described at Apple to create the hyperlink, you can copy this into Notion. And any file will open in its native application.

The plug-in described in this thread looks great. And I will be following this thread to get more information about it. Thanks for posting on this forum!

3 Likes

Another way to open obsidian:// links from Notion is to use a simple HTTP redirect.
I deployed this index.html on a sub-domain and now I can put Obsidian links in Notion like this: https://redirect.domain.com?obsidian://open?vault=MyVault&file=Home.md

3 Likes

Hey @chmmr that sounds amazing, can you provide some more information on how to achieve this.

The repo you linked to has almost no documentation, would appreciate it if you can share some more on how to achieve it

I’m on Linux, but I have access to Mac, is this platform dependant, or is everything run through a browser?

Thanks!

Everything is in the index.html file, you can deploy it anywhere to use, then just point an http(s) link to that index.html and add a query parameter with your obsidian link. All it does is redirect to the URL you pass in, then it’s up to the system to interpret that – so if your browser is setup to handle obsidian:// links it should open the app.

1 Like

thanks I’ll give it a try!

hey, I’ve started trying to do this:

so if your browser is setup to handle obsidian:// links it should open the app.

how can I make my browser handle obsidian://

Thanks

For me Chrome is opening URI I put in address bar. Check below post for more instructions.

1 Like

there is a notion API in beta now, maybe revisit this idea?

2 Likes

Works as a charm!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I use notion as reference database but obsidian is my zettelkasten vault (only my notes, my interpretations and brain links are there) to don’t have daily tasks, etc… interferences

Now I have an open door to references, project ideas, etc… to my second brain transparent and quick, tested in windows with chorme as default and using obsidian.html in my domain. https://my.domain/obsidian.html?obsidian:

And perfect!!!

Many thanks!!!

After struggling with this for a long time I finally found an easy webstite to do this on windows !

2 Likes

For all of those into Apple Shortcuts, there is a neat solution using tinyurl >> Using URL Scheme Links in Notion | Kevin Jalbert