Using Callouts to style your Properties

Hi Team,

Hopefully a quick one for someone here. I am wanting to style my properties block, so that it looks like a callout… I have seen some people’s things that look like they have a callout, that is being wrapped around their properties block. Makes it look so neat. Is there a way to make these two things play together? Preferably without a little custom JS snippet…

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Have a look at the CSS variables for Properties view as well as:

Not as fun or versatile as callouts, but you can change the look quite a bit using only the custom variables mentioned above.

body {
    --metadata-background: #ffc04d;  
    --metadata-border-width: 3px;  
    --metadata-border-color: #005aff;
    --metadata-border-radius: 20px;
    --metadata-divider-color: yellow;
    --metadata-divider-width: 1px;
}

Screenshot 2023-09-27 145309

1 Like

I have seen some people’s things that look like they have a callout, that is being wrapped around their properties block.

My guess is they just wrapped Dataview metadata (not the native Obsidian’s properties) with a callout, like

> [!NOTE]- Properties
> [property1 :: value1]
> [property2 :: value2]

because the built-in properties (a.k.a. YAML frontmatter/metadata) can only be placed at the beginning of a note.

The - after [!NOTE] makes the callout collapsible and displays it folded by default.

Note that Dataview metadata can be queried only via a Dataview query and cannot be (directly) accessed via the built-in search engine.

2 Likes

Can I tag someone here? it was in @nickmilo 's Ideaverse demo vault… the properties just look lovely… with a magic callout type thing going on… how is this magic happening?

1 Like

Ideaverse uses the Prism theme as a base with slightly customized callouts. The Properties view looks pretty standard with a few changes. Perhaps as ush suggested, some Dataview queries were in a few callouts?

1 Like

I’m new to Obsidian and went down a rabbit hole that ended with Ideaverse. I also loved the collapsible properties block and have been trying to figure it out.

I had the Minimal theme installed and just switched over to Prism after reading this and can confirm-it’s just built into the Prism theme.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.