Using callouts to flag ChatGPT-generated text

In my notes in Obsidian, whenever I include text that is generated by ChatGPT (or any generative AI), it is crucial that the text is flagged as AI-generated. I’ve created a KeyboardMaestro macro that inserts text from the clipboard into a block with “callout” syntax (including a reference to ChatGPT as the replacement text for the callout title). I’ve included a link to the KeyboardMaestro macro, which builds on Brett Terpstra’s PopClip extension “BlockQuote” (written in Ruby). (There is some extraneous code from the original role as PopClip extension, but it can be ignored. - Actually, ChatGPT-4 provided a rewrite (!!!) of the Ruby script that cleaned it up and allowed for the retention of ordered-list numbering.)

What the macro does

The macro takes text in the clipboard, prepends Obsidian “callout” syntax, including a title with “Generated by #ChatGPT” and the date in ISO8061 format (which matches the titles of my daily notes). The rest of the text is added with ">" – also for the empty lines, which is what Brett’s script adds – to create a single block quote, and hence a single callout block. (By including the #, I tag the block, which allows me to search for ChatGPT text.)

Public link to download the macro

The markdown text

Rendered in Obsidian, as a “callout block”

2 Likes

What makes you want to differentiate between AI-generated and your text?

I have old-fashioned beliefs about autonomy, authenticity, and authorship. This too will pass, no doubt…. But if don’t document it, I won’t be able to notice that!

2 Likes

I don’t know about @AutonomyGaps , but I speak in public and publish regularly, and if I don’t document my sources I run the risk of plagiarism. If you have any plans to publish articles or books, speak in public, blog, etc., this is crucial. YMMV :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That makes sense :blush: Thanks for sharing this macro

1 Like