Using a running counter in the filename?

Currently, obsidian creates new files with the timestamp as filename. Is it possible to use a running counter, instead?
So it starts with 1.md, 2.md, etc.

Are you using the core plugin, Unique note creator ? If you don’t use that it’ll default to “Untitled 1”, “Untitled 2”, and so on… Still not quite the format you want, I reckon.

If you switch to something like Templater and set a default template for the root folder (which also affect all other folders, unless told otherwise), I reckon it would be possible to implement your own numbering/naming scheme for any file. You would then need to keep track of the highest number assigned so far, and increment it before renaming a new file, but that shouldn’t be too hard to do.

I’m not familiar with any plugin which do something like this, but it wouldn’t surprise me if some plugin addressed this somehow.

1 Like

Yes, I am using unique note creator and have now installed templater to give it a chance. Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.