User-defined sync order / priority

Launching Obsidian takes a few seconds to load plugins etc, but then it also takes time to synchronize.

9 times out of 10, I want to open the same “working memory” note to jot a quick note. But sometimes it is at the bottom of the sync queue and I have to wait for a 50mb file to sync first.

I know the “merge conflicting edits” mechanism works well, but I can’t imagine trusting it 100%, to the point of deliberately causing conflicts for it to manage.

Request: give the user a way to mark a note to “sync first”.

Workaround: make a new note for every “quick note”.

4 Likes

For me, just prioritizing the current daily note (with a way for the Periodic Notes plugin to take advantage of it) would be big (but I’d use it for other things too).

1 Like

I have the same challenge - a large vault, so enabling some User prioritisation setting would be good. This could be (a) Enabling DailyNotes to be synced first so we can be productive (b) Give priority to Bookmarked notes or similar.

Another way of stating this is to always prioritize the currently focused note plus any notes open in any other tabs.

1 Like

I mentioned here that a semi-solution for my specific problem (wanting to quick add to a note) is to use a dedicated note per-device Quick way to add or append notes without opening Obsidian (Android tutorial) - #9 by james1294

Not ideal, but at least I can open a note and start typing without concern, in fact I use a separate app (1Writer) for even faster launching when I just want to quick add.

1 Like