Update popup on latest version

I’ve updated Obsidian with arch linux repository and no problem yet,
From 0.15.8, on every starting the popup shows.

Thanks.

Steps to reproduce

• run Obsidian app

Expected result

• no update popup if the version is latest. or, automatic update option not checked.

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: Arch Linux X86_64, 5.18.13-arch1-1
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v0.15.8
    Installer version: v0.15.8
    Operating system: #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 22 Jul 2022 13:05:04 +0000 5.18.13-arch1-1
    Login status: not logged in
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: off
    Plugins installed: 14
    Plugins enabled: 10
    1: TimeStamper v1.2.0
    2: Shortcuts extender v2.2.0
    3: Tag Wrangler v0.5.2
    4: Editor Syntax Highlight v0.1.3
    5: Calendar v1.5.10
    6: Linter v1.3.4
    7: Minimal Theme Settings v5.3.2
    8: Style Settings v0.4.10
    9: Text Snippets v0.1.2
    10: Advanced Tables v0.17.3

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Update installer: installer version too low, please download from Download - Obsidian and reinstall.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

Obsidian package info on arch linux repository

The arch package is not made by us and we don’t support it.

Please contact the package mantainer.

There’s a bug report here on Arch Bugs. I have the same annoying issue. The .AppImage version is not affected. Here’s the PKGBUILD of this package, it uses the tar.gz release to unpack obsidian.asar and not much more.

The problem is likely that the arch package uses electron17 whereas we moved to electron 18. So indeed the installer is old.

Thanks! I reported this to the package maintainer on Arch Bugs.

I use the normal windows version that automatically updates and is on Version 0.15.8. I get the same message since yesterday and when I click I am directed to the download page of Version 0.15.8.

Solved with input from debug info:
“Update installer: installer version too low”

Problem solved with 0.15.9 updated just a while ago.
Thanks guys here!

This is now occurring for me with Obsidian v.0.15.9 on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I downloaded and ran the Linux AppImage which successfully updated Obsidian to v.0.15.9 but still has the popup appearing.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v0.15.9
Installer version: v0.12.19
Operating system: #44-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 22 14:20:53 UTC 2022 5.15.0-41-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: off
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Dark Moss
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 3
Plugins enabled: 3
1: Dataview v0.5.41
2: Obsidian Git v1.28.0
3: Editor Syntax Highlight v0.1.3

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Update installer: installer version too low, please download from Download - Obsidian and reinstall.
Custom theme: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

you are NOT running the the latest appimage.

I download it from here: Download - Obsidian

Then I have run it both by (1) double-clicking on it, selecting “Integrate and Run”, then selecting “yes” to the overwrite request; and (2) by using the terminal to mark it as executable and then running it in terminal. Not sure what else I should be doing.

run it from the command line and do the show debug info. Post a screen recording.

During the recording process, I identified the source of the error. AppImage for some reason was generating a new shortcut each time I installed Obsidian rather than replacing the old one. The one in my favorites was thus still for v.0.12.19. I manually removed all the duplicate Obsidians from AppImage, then ran the command line version, and it seems to be working properly again.

Thanks for working to troubleshoot this and sorry for failing to notice this myself earlier!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.