Unusable UI feedback with wrong vault key / incorrect encryption password syncing remote vault

Steps to reproduce

1. Attempt to connect to a remote vault using Sync
  2. When prompted for the encryption password, enter an invalid password

Expected result

The expected result would be a dialog window or other warning informing the user the vault key is invalid.

Actual result

The dialog window is generated, but only appears extremely briefly. For the most part, the user just sees the underlying dialog with the animation of a square not feeling so good. (I had to use a screen recorder to even grab the content of the dialog window by playing it back at extremely reduced speed).

This occurs on both mobile (Android 13) and desktop (Windows 11).

Environment

• Operating system: Android 11
  • Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Operating system: android 13 (Google Pixel 7 Pro)
    Obsidian version: 1.4.0 (80)
    API version: v1.0.0
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

• Operating system: Windows 11

• Debug info:
    SYSTEM INFO:
    Obsidian version: v1.0.0
    Installer version: v0.15.9
    Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22623
    Login status: logged in
    Catalyst license: none
    Insider build toggle: off
    Live preview: on
    Legacy editor: off
    Base theme: dark
    Community theme: none
    Snippets enabled: 0
    Restricted mode: on

Additional information

I am not sure why Obsidian displays my OS as Windows 10; perhaps it’s derived from some field based on the licence type.

Screenshot of the dialog window which appears extremely briefly

I can’t reproduce. Post a screen recording of this happening, default theme, no third party plugins, no snippets

I made a quick screen recording on my old phone using a fresh install of Obsidian. You’ll see the dialog appear very quickly and disappear almost immediately without any user input by me.

Untitled video

Should you require any additional information, I should be able to provide that tomorrow.

I do have the vault working currently, so I am not blocked from getting any further. Just wanted to report a potential issue that might cause people to think something is wrong with their account – as I originally thought as a relatively new user to Obsidian.

1 Like

thanks I can repro on mobile, not desktop.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.