Unchecked check boxes aggregator

Hi,

I had this idea that check boxes could be aggregated in some way.
First I thought that it would be nice if empty check boxes could be searched — something similar to “checkbox:unchecked” —, but then I thought it would probably be better to have a note/file that contains the links to the blocks of other notes that contain have a check box unchecked; this file is auto-update as check boxes are check and new ones added. Would that be possible to implement?

thanks o/

5 Likes

Hello, I would like to know if there is already a way to do it, I am organizing my drawing files and there are around 1000 between complete, incomplete and several subfolders, You can do everything in a note but it is a lot for a list, I would like to link a list to a check box in another higher hierarchy list to gradually complete my work.

Hey, this is totally possible! In a variety of ways, as well!

First option is the official Search for Todo functionality.
The syntax is “task:stringToMatch”. This can be supplemented with “task-todo” (only empty checkboxes, and “task-done”, only checked checkboxes

I don’t like this option though, as for me personally it struggles to find stuff in callouts which I use frequently. Instead, I use the search “- [ ]” (the quotes matter!) which will match all unchecked checkboxes no matter where they are. If you refer back to the Official Search Plugin help page you can see that there a lot of operators that you can use to enhance this functionality!

Finally, there’s the plugin Checklist which is really cool but doesn’t work on iOS so I never use it. If you’re an android guy, or only use Obsidian on desktop, it kicks ass though

Finally, there’s the Tasks plugin that I’ve never used personally but can do some crazy stuff if you learn how to use it optimally

1 Like