Unable to set specific hotkey (command-0)

I used ⌘0 for my “Open Today’s Daily Note” hotkey. One day, pressing this hotkey did not work, even though it was set in my settings. I cleared the hotkey to troubleshoot, and was unable to set it back to ⌘0. I am unable to set this hotkey for any action. I am able to set other hotkeys for the Daily Note hotkey. I don’t have any conflicts for this hotkey in Obsidian.

Steps to reproduce

1. Open settings > hotkeys
  2. Search for Open Today’s Daily Note hotkey (or any hotkey)
  3. Try to set the hotkey as ⌘0 (command-0)

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? Y - reproducible in Sandbox

Expected result

Able to set ⌘0 as the hotkey. Able to use the hotkey to open the Daily Note.

Actual result

When “Press Hotkey…” is activated, it doesn’t register ⌘0 as a hotkey and does nothing.

Environment

Sandbox:

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.8
	Installer version: v1.5.3
	Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.3.0: Wed Dec 20 21:30:27 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.81.5~7/RELEASE_ARM64_T8103 23.3.0
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: off
	Plugins installed: 0
	Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Additional information

Seems to be an issue with the specific key combination of the hotkey and not the actual action (ie. Open Today’s Daily Note).

1 Like

Using the same hotkey on one vault causes it to not work on another?

I have the same problem as OP, exactly as described above but with a different hotkey.

I had option+Q set to open QuickAdd and it’s been working normally, until today. QuickAdd opens fine via Obsidian commands but not with the hotkey. I removed the hotkey setting to try to set it again, but the setting won’t register - as if I’m not pressing the keys. I can assign other key combinations to open QuickAdd but I cannot assign this particular combination to any command. Other combinations that include the option key or the Q work fine too. It’s just this particular combination that stopped working.

I tried my best to see if the hotkey was assigned to anything outside Obsidian. As far as I can tell, it isn’t. However, it is assigned to open QuickAdd on my second Obsidian vault. If I have that vault open, pressing the hotkey will bring up the other vault and open QuickAdd. If this other vault is closed, then the hotkey is dead (can’t be assigned, can’t be used).

I managed to recreate the binding on the problem vault by pressing the keys in a different order than before: first press Q and then option key. But this did not recover the functionality itself. It’s assigned but won’t work.

I’m on macOS Monterey and using Obsidian version 1.5.12 (Installer 1.5.11).

I’ve had these vaults open simultaneously ever since I started using Obsidian a month ago and this was never a probem before.

@Lia_the_nun you need open an issue to QuickAdd.

I am not familiar with it, but if the purpose of QuickAdd is to trigger Obsidian even when obsidian is not in focus, I don’t see how it is possible to use the same hotkey for multiple vaults.

Have you tried clearing option+q from you first vault and see if you can then use it in the other?

Have you tried restricted mode on and restart obsidian in all your vaults?

@darnocer do you still have this problem?

Hi @WhiteNoise. The shortcut to open QuickAdd is meant to trigger for the vault that is currently in focus. It did work that way for a month, but now if vault 2 is in focus, using the shortcut will bring vault 1 to focus and open QuickAdd there.

I will try your suggestions when I have some more time and report back.

@darnocer and @WhiteNoise
I found the reason why I was having this problem. Embarrassingly, I had installed and enabled a plugin called Global Hotkeys and then forgotten about it. After uninstalling it my hotkeys have been working fine.

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.