Unable to open one of my vaults

Hello, I’m French. I have a vault on a hard disk that won’t open. It shows me an error: “An error has occurred while loading Obsidian. Error file system operation timed out.”
What’s the problem?
Can you help me reopen it? Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Have you just downloaded the new installer to update to 1.4.5?
Just try again (reload vault).

I am getting the same error, I’ve updated to 1.4.5 and this has been going on for weeks. After persisting I see a pop up message, which asks:Do you trust the author of this vault?

Any ideas what is going on and how I can solve this?

It’s not the same error or file system. Your issue is iCloud related. There are tons of iCloud related issues talked about on the forum.
Otherwise, accept to trust the author and enable plugins.

1 Like

Hi @gino_m thanks so much for your reply, I will search for icloud issues in the forum then. I can’t manage to click to accept to trust the author and enable plugins.

I’ve seen a similar error lately.

• Here, the user confesses to having added the wrong folder as vault. Could that be your issue?

I didn’t chose a file, only the obsidian vault, pretty sure about this. I manage to open it on my phone but not on the desktop. Do you think if I subscribe to Obsidian Sync I will solve the issue completely? I am non-tech and trying to figure this out is taking too much of my time, maybe no the app for me :confused: thanks in advance.

I am not too tech myself and just a volunteer here. Don’t use official sync, either.

Generally, we need more information to help you. Operating system, where is the vault located, what sync is used (maybe more than one?), etc. Otherwise we’re tip-toing in one place.
Someone will be able to help.

Hi @gino_m thank you, okay, I understand.

Status: I can open my vault on the mobile app but not on the iOS app, when I try to open the vault on the desktop app I get the error (as shared above).

Operating System - macOS Montery 12.6.8 (needs updating to Sonoma 14.1.2)
Obsidian Version - 1.4.16
Vault Location - icloud. I moved it a few times, but the issue started when Obsidian launched an update a month (?) or so ago.

Any idea what I can do?

Which will entail some other problems, as I recall (several people checked in on the forum after the update). Not a Mac user, so I don’t have first hand experience. I have an iPad, which I no longer use iCloud on to sync Obsidian.
Apparently, there suppose to be no issues with iCloud sync from Mac to iOS/iPadOS, but again, I cannot have tested that (being a Linux, Windows, iPadOS user).

Finally, I wonder what the contents of the Wednesday 26-07-2023.md file are?
I don’t need to know, just try to copy the contents of it in a plain text editor, keep it safe, try deleting the offending file and opening the vault again.

Thank you Gino, I ended up signing up for Obsidian Sync to bypass the issue and it sorted it all. However, I don’t know if I want to do this long term, so I will try your proposed solution now. I don’t understand why it is opening a file when I am instead opening a folder.

Edit:

There is no file Wednesday 26-07-2023.md inside the icloud based Vault…

If it means a financial strain, there are ways to sync with git (GitHub, Working Copy app; again, search the forum, but could be too tech for a newbie).

My proposal was only for removal of that file, which for some reason caused an issue; not having the file synced (as it is non-existent, as you say) still should not have caused the issue of Obsidian vault not opening. Hard to say from here why.

Good luck

Hi Gino, apologies for the delay. I don’t get notifications :confused:

If it means a financial strain, there are ways to sync with git (GitHub, Working Copy app; again, search the forum, but could be too tech for a newbie).

Financially it’s okay and I am back using Obsidian which was what mattered most.

My proposal was only for removal of that file, which for some reason caused an issue; not having the file synced (as it is non-existent, as you say) still should not have caused the issue of Obsidian vault not opening. Hard to say from here why.

Yes, seems odd, but I have parked this and proceed with using Obsidian Sync.

Thanks so much for your support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.