Unable to login into my account

Steps to reproduce

1. Go to settings
  2. Go to ‘Account’ tab
  3. I enter my correct username and password but I always get the error ‘Login failed, please double check your email and password’. I enter the exact same credentials on the Obsidian website and I login successful.

Expected result

Successful login into my Obsidian desktop client

Actual result

I get this error upon entering credentials - ‘Login failed, please double check your email and password’

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10 Pro v1909
  • Obsidian version: v0.9.1

Additional information

1 Like

the credentials for the forum and app are different.
Can you login here http://obsidian.md

You’ve mentioned your version is 0.9.1, but what version of the installer do you have?

If you know your credentials are correct, and you are using a fairly old installer it might be worth trying to download the latest installer and see if it helps.

I’m moving this to graveyard until OP comes back confirm the bug still exists.

@moderators ~

I’ve run into the same login issue as described by the OP.

Specifically:

• I am running Obsidian v0.10.9 with installer v0.9.17
  • I can easily log into my account online. In fact, today I successfully logged in and purchased access to Obsidian’s Publish features.
  • However, when I try to connect my desktop application using the Publish option, I always get the error ‘Login failed, please double check your email and password’, even though I’ve entered the identical credentials I successfully used on the Obsidian website earlier this afternoon.

Please advise.

1 Like

email AND password are casesensitive

Understood. Thank you, @WhiteNoise, for your prompt feedback.

• So far I’ve been using the case sensitive characters in my password correctly.
  • As for my Gmail address, I assumed it was all lower case ~ and that did not work. However, when I tried it again just now with an initial cap (on the off chance that might make a difference), I received the very same error message again.

Please advise.

two things

The credentials for the forum are different from the credentials of obisidian.md and the app.

Where do you put your username and password in the app?

@WhiteNoise ~ Thank you again very much for your efforts to help me login. Much appreciated! :slight_smile:

Understood. As I indicated my original post, I’m using the login credentials for my Obsidian account in the browser (not the forum) that allowed me to purchase “Publish” access earlier today.

I’ve tried logging in 2 different ways multiple times on multiple days:

• using the “Publish Changes” (paper airplane) icon in the side menu bar, and
  • using the Settings > Account login option

In every case, I keep getting the same error message every time.

Please advise.

do you use a password manager in your browser?

1 Like

Hooray!!! Your good question provided the clue I needed: Just now checked my password manager in my browser and discovered I had saved my password with a typo. :blush: :wink:

Once I used the saved password, I was able to log into the desktop app with no problems.

Thank you (again) immensely, @WhiteNoise, for your perseverance and patience with my confusion. Genuinely appreciated, especially since this will now allow me to start playing with all the great publish features! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I have this problem, but no error message. I enter the login and password and nothing happens at all. The login just refreshes blank.

1 Like

You mean in the Obsidian app, right?

What OS? What version? Is your installer up to date? If not, maybe a first step is to try downloading a new version from the Obsidian website and reinstalling Obsidian fresh.