Typewriter Sounds

Plugin to allow typewriter sounds while typing. It doesn’t seem like a great add on for short notes, but when typing longer pieces it really helps you slip into writer mode.

If your wondering what that is like I suggest writemonkey, where I first used it.

I also found these websites to give an idea what it’s like.

https://uniqcode.com/typewriter/

Writemonkey switched to a database by default instead of plain text files. That change created to much friction for me to stay with it, even through it had the most comfortable writing interface I’ve used.

Obsidian has these amazing project/knowledge management tools and the editor is getting better.

WYSIWYG + Distraction free full screen + typewriter focus mode + typewriter sounds = WIN

The only one not in development is typewriter sounds.

Also writemonkey gave the option of numerous sets of typewriter sounds and some mechanical keyboard versions.

10 Likes

I agree. I find typewriter sounds excellent for longform writing.

2 Likes

You could use the old version.
Or
You could just open a file in the Obsidian vault. WriteMonkey will then keep it in sync with it’s own database. This gives you all the advantages of both.
The folding in WriteMonkey is much more sophisticated too.

I agree that it’s a bit fiddly to individually set every document to save as a separate file.

1 Like

The old version of writemonkey is broken on my system because of the way high dpi scaling works. I could still use V3 the way you described and I do go back to it sometimes. It has a bind to file feature for text files. I don’t really understand it. Like I said, creates friction in my mind. It’s not completely unworkable.

I’d rather use obsidian. If any plugin developer wanted an idea. I think this one would be great for my use case (writers).

1 Like

The way I see it is that
WM3 is a database, optionally with synchronised files
whereas
Obsidian is a set of files with a synchronised database.

WM3 is purpose designed for writers and writing
Obsidian is a general purpose editor over a system of links which is especially good for research

There’s no problem with using both on the same files (they pick up external changes very quickly).

1 Like

I’ve also tried out Mechvibes for typing sounds. I find it works quite well, and it’s not bound to a particular writing program.

5 Likes

Arrgh, I wish, I wish, I wish I had the necessary skill to develop a typewriter sound effect plugin for Obsidian!

Hopefully someone who does have the skill will make one some day.

Interesting idea! And it’s not hard to achieve actually.

I’ve created a repo for this and provided a rough release. Would you mind recommend some nice sound resources?

And the plugin need some detailed design.

• Where would it work? Only in editor, or available in the global application?
  • How to deal with functional keys? Usually we have common characters (simple key press) and Enter for return. But some works also provides a ping sound, and I don’t know how to assign it.
  • Should we add an interval between typings and when return? Or the sound effects will be truncated.
  • The plugin should let users to configure sounds resources.

I will list down some sources here.

1 Like

These are typewriter sounds from the python script I have been using. These are free to use.

samples.zip (755.6 KB)

Here are the github links.

For a better list of sounds you could try looking at the writemonkey clickckack plugin list of schemes. There are many and the writemonkey download includes the wav files for them. I believe they are sourced from freesound so could be used but I am not sure so I’m not uploading them here. Would need to research that a bit more.

2 Likes

To answer your questions:

Where would it work?

For me, yes, only in the editor. I imagine typing on a sheet of paper, which in Obsidian corresponds (for me) to the editor.

How to deal with functional keys?

No sound.

Should we add an interval between typings and return?

I am also a user of WriteMonkey, and as far as I can tell, in WriteMonkey sounds are allowed to play full length, they are not truncated by other sounds. Most of the time this isn’t noticeable but I guess in some cases it might lead to a slight buffering of sound?

As mentioned by @Dor, WriteMonkey (WM3) is a good example of typing sounds done well. Note: I think you have to donate to the author to get the plugins, including typing sounds, unlocked.

All the best

1 Like

Hello, I noticed that in WM3 ClickClack, we have both key and key2 in each scheme. Do they appear alternately or randomly?

Edit: oh I got it from the source code, these are hard coded lol.

I renamed my repo to click-clack and here’s the latest release

1 Like

I installed through BRAT plugin in a test vault with no other plugins. It’s not working. I added the resources folder to the plugin folder. Still not working.

Tried closing and reopening.

Options page has one setting. I tried to type in some of the other options from the resources folder. Didn’t work. changed back to default. Still not working for me.

Ah I noticed that thru the BRAT I can only get the previous and broken version. Could you please try manually download the files under the 0.1.0 release?

Edit: I forgot to bump the manifest so it got some problem for BRAT to direct to the latest version. Now it should be fixed. Delete both the plugin folder, and the registered info in BRAT, and then re-install from BRAT would solve.

1 Like

Okay. Thank you. It’s working. I’ll try it out today.

There is a typo on the options page. Volume is misspelled. So far the click keyboard scheme seems nice. I feels like it’s actually some feedback from the typing.

1 Like