Transclusion links break when sections renamed

Hello fellow Obsidian fans,

I’ve searched the forums and the docs and I can’t find anything to quite address this question.

Suppose I have a note X, with a section S. I have another note that transcludes or links to it, e.g. like so: ![[X#S]]. If I change the title of section S while editing X, it breaks that link entirely. This seems odd to me. Obsidian is really good at tracking and updating things like this, for example, when note titles change. So why not here?

I found the “rename this heading” command, but it seems very odd that I would have to manually use a command like this. It doesn’t seem intuitive, you need to remember to use it (vs Obsidian just automatically correcting it, as it does with note titles.

I found several references that allude to this issue, but couldn’t find a feature request to address it or a bug report or anything.

Am I missing something important, and/or does anyone have any thoughts about this? It seems like a nice feature request to detect section/heading changes and automagically update links.

Many thanks.

Ben.

No, you’re not missing anything. You’re quite sane. :slight_smile:

You’re right, the “rename this heading” is the provided method for changing a heading and then having references to it automatically updated throughout your vault. It’s great that it’s there, but it’s easy to forget to do that, rename a heading while you work, and suddenly all references to it are now broken.

I believe the following feature request is about this same issue. Feel free to heart and comment on it to reflect your support:

1 Like

Ah! Terrific, many thanks for the pointer, Craig.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.