Touch input fails in settings/community plugins on iOS

Steps to reproduce

On iPhone/iPad, in settings/community plugins, the app has become unresponsive to touch input. For instance, I cannot select or search for community plugins. This vault is default—no community plugins have ever been installed in it.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

This is somewhat different because the community plugins are enabled, but none have ever been installed.

Expected result

I expect touch input to function in Obsidian.

Actual result

Obsidian stops functioning. After quitting and reopening, it works as normal, but the same result happens when I enter settings/community plugins

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Operating system: ios 17.2 (Apple iPad)
Obsidian version: 1.4.16 (114)
API version: v1.4.16
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: insider
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 0
Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

2 Likes

I can partially repro in one of my “test” vaults and a completely empty one :blush:

I say partially because I was still able to search for community plugins if:

• I waited few seconds once the community plugins modal/menu is opened (as if it wasn’t fully loaded/needed “some time” to be fully available for some reason(s) :woman_shrugging: )

• Trigger the search by tapping in the search bar in the area next the “magnifying glass” icon and the S of search (which might need to be done a few times before working :innocent: )

• Once the Search bar works, the rest seems to work as expected…

My vaults are stored and synced through iCloud but I checked before trying to open Obsidian to see if everything was loaded, which seemed to be the case …

I can’t exclude an iCloud issue in my case though or some issue with the wifi… especially since the Files app became unresponsive after my diverse tests here :sweat_smile:
(I do have plenty of space on iCloud and iPad)

SYSTEM INFO:
	Operating system: ios 17.2 (Apple iPad)
	Catalyst license: supporter
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Edit: After yet another test, it does seem that loading the whole list of community plugins in the modal is asking “a lot” to my iPad Pro though :innocent:
For example, I couldn’t launch a split view while trying to browse the community plugins… not without a visible delay, at least :thinking:

1 Like

I haven’t seen this on my devices. I’d guess it might be a network problem — maybe Obsidian can’t reach the plugin repo in a timely fashion and that’s blocking the interface?

I have this same bug! I can’t remember when it started exactly. But the community plugin search is non responsive, sometimes some taps around the search bar and “Show installed” are detected but I can’t enter any search text or select any plugins from the list.

This bug occurs on my normal Vault and a brand-new empty Vault. Debug info from both show below.

I’m actually on iOS 17.3 (21D5026f) Public Beta. The debug info from Obsidian didn’t capture this. I’ve opted out of iOS beta updates now in case this is the cause. Unfortunately there’s not a newer non-beta iOS version for me to update to just yet.

Environment (Fresh/test Vault)

SYSTEM INFO:
	Operating system: ios 17.3 (Apple iPhone)
	Plugins installed: 0
	Plugins enabled: 0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

Environment (Normal vault)

SYSTEM INFO:
	Operating system: ios 17.3 (Apple iPhone)
	Live preview: off
	Community theme: Minimal v7.4.3
	Snippets enabled: 16
	Plugins installed: 11
	Plugins enabled: 10
		1: Advanced Tables v0.20.0
		2: Commander v0.5.1
		3: Dataview v0.5.64
		4: File Explorer Note Count v1.2.1
		5: Linter v1.22.0
		6: Minimal Theme Settings v7.3.1
		7: Readwise Official v2.0.1
		8: Style Settings v1.0.7
		9: Templater v2.0.0
		10: Sort & Permute lines v0.7.0

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
	Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Ah, I’m on iOS 17.1.2.

Well, we just got better Wi-Fi here and it my case, it seems to have helped with the “lagging” of Community Plugin modal/delay in being able to access the search bar (on iPad) …

I still need to be quite precise when I tap in the search bar to trigger the keyboard (sometimes almost going to having to “hold” to trigger it/place the cursor in it)… but it’s profoundly inconsistent :woman_shrugging:

It absolutely never happens when Show installed only is toggled On though and trying to Change sort order is quite difficult.

I’m finally on iOS 17.2 and now seeing the behavior @Pch describes. I have to wait some seconds after tapping in the search bar, and after that clears there’s an initial lag when I start typing. If I close out and come back the behavior repeats. (I haven’t tested properly, just in my normal setup.)

2 Likes

Yes I’ve had this issue for some time. When I go to search community plugins on mobile, the app freezes and I can’t enter any text into the search bar for the community plugins. If I wait like 30-40 seconds it will generally unfreeze but the typing is then still really laggy.

Yes, it has been discussed in Discord Mobile (and Insider) channel several times.

will be fixed 1.5.9

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.