Tool for summarizing YouTube Videos that allows exporting notes to Obsidian?

With the removal of the dislike button from YouTube, is hard to get at a quick glance an indication of the quality of the content.

Currently, I am watching the video in Obsidian using the media extended plugin and take notes as it goes.

Especially for videos that are 60min+, it feels very wasteful to discover only at the end of the video that there were not many takeaways or valuable insights.

Do you guys know about a tool that can summarize YouTube videos, based on the transcript, that ideally would allow also easy note-taking and exporting those notes to Obsidian?

I know there is something for podcasts, but I haven’t found something for YouTube (or videos in general).

Or how do you guys process longer youtube videos?

Maybe there’s something that could generate a transcript? That’s the only thing I could think of. You’d still have to skim through it and it probably won’t be perfect if the auto generated captions on YouTube are any indication.

I wished snipd would add youtube too, I mean many videos are just audio with the face of a guy and can be listened to,

and for some reason Media extended stopped working for me around a month ago, that even make it worse for me, I am using chrome extension YT Scribe right now to get captions from youtube. I am still not sure what is the best solution

1 Like

Thanks @Archie. I gave YT Scribe a try and it helped a bit.

Was thinking to pass through Summari the transcription given by YT Scribe and then you would have a high level overview for you to decide if you want to watch the entire video or not.

1 Like

interesting, the idea is very good imo but I tried one video transcript with it and it did not look very good, maybe it is written for articles and that is why. I think it worth to investigate more into it, if it works the reward in increased productivity is going to be huge.

A little bit late, but my plugin Youtube Summarizer has just made it to the community plugins list. As it uses ChatGpt to summarize Youtube video transcripts, you would need to enter an Open AI Key. It does not cost much though. For my personal use, I paid less than 1.5 dollars per month in the last few months.