To-do's with reminders

What do you guys think of being able to link markdown’s to-do to actual pop up reminders?
The syntax might be something like this:
- [ ] Reply customer email ![remind] today 16 hs

With whatever is after ![remind] would be hidden in the preview mode, except maybe for a small clock icon to show that the item has a linked reminder.

Then at the specified hour, or day, a small pop up would appear with ‘Snooze’, ‘Mark as Done’, and ‘View Note’.

I wouldn’t want to bloat Obsidian, but I think it would add usefulness to markdown checkboxes.

Just an idea I had.

45 Likes

I love this idea. The Obsidian, as it is, is definitely lacking a tool or way to handle/manage markdown tasks.
When using the tool, we may take notes in different context, preparing the next day or during a meeting. This is where tasks will be noted, but there is currently no efficient way to gather all these tasks in one place to get an overview and follow up. A plug-in that could allow to see all our tasks splited into categories would be great and a reminder pop up would allow to not forget most important tasks.

7 Likes

I’m completely in favor of this, idea. I’ve started writing my contact sheets in markdown and remembering to wish a birthday would be very handy!

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Please support plain text files in txt and taskpaper format

+1 for a Todoist plugin!

3 Likes

Would you mind sharing those scripts? I’d love to get something like this working.

2 Likes

+1 Should be so great !

1 Like

I would propose rather syntax taskpaper style @remind(date-time)

3 Likes

An additional feature for this todo list plugin I’d really like would be a hierarchical structure to tasklists. For example one note with overall tasks and other notes linked to these with subtasks.

1 Like

+1! This idea is great. Since a mobile app is in the works, it would be great in the future to receive notifications of reminders on mobile, too.

I used Joplin’s reminder functionalities until I switched to Obsidian, and I’m feeling like I really miss this feature.

2 Likes

Superb idea. Would use this every day!

1 Like

Yes, Please

1 Like

+1 from me!

+1 from me as well!

Along with mobile apps, reminders for To-do items is really all I need to abandon my other tools forever. Thanks to you all (the many talented minds out there) thinking about this stuff!

3 Likes

+1 from me! There is also this community plugin GitHub - larslockefeer/obsidian-plugin-todo

It doesn’t have reminders, but it’s a start

1 Like

+1 for this idea…
But seems we are limiting to reminder per item …
Why not have also possibility to set one for the whole list ???

Hm. I still see Obsidian more as a PKM/Knowledgebase than as a To-Do managing app. Then again, due to its flexibility, I find myself using and searching - [ ] more and more …

For managing To-Dos, I’ve been using the todo.txt text file format for years, with good success, because it’s easy and portable, and I sync it between Android and several Linux machines.

Without having thought it out, I’d probably like a todo.txt handler plugin, or at least the possibility to simply edit the .txt file format in Obsidian.

Here’s more on the format and even a JavaScript Parser.

Funny coincidence @Moonbase59, I saw this brand new plugin 2 minutes before I read your post: GitHub - trashhalo/obsidian-todo-txt: Todo.txt file support in obsidian

Instead of re-inventing the wheel i think a better idea is to enhance existing tasks plugins to export such info into todo.txt file or alike. Tasks plugin or dataview plugin seems good candidates to me.