Third-party sync options | Do any work fully cross-platform? (Windows + iOS + Android)

Things I have tried

I use my notes (currently switching from OneNote) on:

• Windows for lengthy study sessions
  • iOS (iPad Pro) when I’m out and about, or simply reading from my iBooks collection
  • Android daily whenever convenient.

I’ve set up a vault on Dropbox, but was disappointed to learn that I couldn’t choose my vault directory on the mobile apps. One user suggested dropsync, and I have to say it works beautifully on my Android. But, no alternative seems to be available on iOS.

I’ve considered using iCloud as my vault storage, however I don’t know if that could work on my windows without syncing the entirety of my iCloud onto my windows (which I do not want to do as I have the 2TB plan, and that would flood my small harddrive). Additionally, Apple hasn’t released any sort of iCloud app for Android.

Beyond these, I’ve heard of some other options, but I can’t tell if they are appropriate:

syncthing + Mobius: I’m not really sure what this does. I’ve seen it recommended on the Discord, and checked it out but it seems like it’s mainly for self-hosted servers?

GIT + Working Copy: I would love some system that seemlessly syncs through GIT, but Working Copy seemed bulky, like you’d have to use both Obsidian and Working Copy to make any changes. The post says you have to:

manually pull, push, merge changes through [[Working Copy]]

Maybe I just couldn’t understand the post. Also, as I don’t have any experience with GIT, perhaps I am overestimating the bulkiness of the workflow. I also am unaware of any solution that would work with Android.

Of course I know about Obsidian Sync, and while I’m happy to support the company (like doing the Catalyst support), I don’t want yet another subscription service. I already pay for storage on iCloud.

What I’m trying to do

Ideally, I would be able to just use my Dropbox on all three platforms seamlessly. But, since that’s not going to happen as far as I know, does anyone know of any third-party syncing solution that works cross-platform with Obsidian?

My worst-case scenario is that I have Obsidian synced through Dropbox and dropsync on my Windows and Android, but then just have to manually browse my Dropbox files to take literature notes while on my iPad. Or, perhaps, just have to rely on a different app to read my Obsidian vault (like 1Writer), which is certainly less than ideal.

• Will there be eventual Dropbox support on the mobile apps?
  • Is there a way to sync your Obsidian vault across three platforms via third-party?
  • Is dropbox/GIT cross-platform syncing going to be possible via community plugins?
1 Like

https://help.obsidian.md/Obsidian/Obsidian+Mobile

• Will there be eventual Dropbox support on the mobile apps?
    There are no plans for this for the reasons indicated in the link.
  • Is there a way to sync your Obsidian vault across three platforms via third-party?
    I am not familiar with all possible third party providers, third-party mobile apps, and or how much complication you are willing to tollerate.
  • Is dropbox/GIT cross-platform syncing going to be possible via community plugins?
    If somebody wants to write a plugin for this, is welcome to do so.
3 Likes

Git doesn’t automatically sync if that is what you were asking. It’s different from other syncing services like Dropbox since its intended use case is very different. It was created for tracking changes to your code, but since Obsidian just used .md files, Git can be used to sync a vault. A lot of people (including myself) have been enjoying using Git for its redundancy and stability. You have more control over what gets synced. Let me know if you have any questions :smiley:

One option would be Dropbox + iCloud. And then using something like ‘Hazel’ on a constantly running desktop to two way sync the iCloud and Dropbox folders.

I would love to see Dropbox support in the mobile app and would gladly pay for it.

1 Like

That would be a decent fix. I just don’t have a constantly running desktop. I could theoretically do that on my laptop, but it’s not ideal.

A Dropbox plugin would be nice …

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.