The return link in an embedded note's footnote leads to the wrong place in the document

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a note with footnotes. Name the first one [^mark]. This is the top-level document.
  2. Create another note with footnotes. Name the first one [^embedded_mark]. This is going to be the embedded document.
  3. Embed the second note in the first note somewhere after the [^mark] position in the top-level document.
  4. Go to the embedded document and find the footnote for [^embedded_mark]. Click the return button at the end of that footnote.

Expected result

1. Clicking this return button should take me to the [^embedded_mark] location in the embedded note. (This one is the bug.)
  2. The footnote number should be a continuation of the sequence used in the top-level document. (This one is less a bug than a design suggestion.)

Actual result

1. Clicking this return button takes me to the [^mark] location in the top-level document. The footnote is associated with the wrong superscript marker.
  2. The footnote numbering in the embedded document starts over at 1.

Environment

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • Obsidian version: v0.8.1

Additional information

Screenshot:

Sample markdown, top-level document:

This is a note

It has a footnote[^footnote]
[^footnote]: This back link leads to the correct place in the note

It has another footnote[^such_footnote]
[^such_footnote]: This back link also leads to the correct place in the note

![[Embedded page with another footnote]]

Sample markdown, embedded document:

This page is embedded.

It has it's own footnote.[^embedded_footnote]
[^embedded_footnote]: When this page is embedded in another page, then this return link leads to the wrong place on the page.
1 Like

Thanks for the report

Let me know if you still have this issue with 0.8.6

Edit: Still present in 0.8.6

Obsidian is telling me that 0.8.4 the is current version. I also have automated updates turned on. Will test on 0.8.6 when my application updates.

Will be fixed in v0.8.9.

1 Like

Delayed to 0.8.10

looks like it is still not working. I can’t link or embed a block a text. Link just refers to the page and embed shows empty.