The properties box looks different on iOS than on macOS

The problem is very simple. The properties box looks different on iOS than on macOS. In fact, on iOS the date is shown differently and has a separator that is not shown on macOS.

Expected result

I expect the property boxes to look the same.

Actual result

They look different.

Environment

macOS:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 22.6.0: Fri Sep 15 13:41:28 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8796.141.3.700.8~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 22.6.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: off
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 4
Plugins enabled: 4
1: Callout Manager v1.0.1
2: Markdown shortcuts v0.4.0
3: Iconize v2.4.1
4: Linter v1.20.0

iOS:
Operating system: ios 16.6.1 (Apple iPhone)
Obsidian version: 1.4.16 (114)
API version: v1.4.16
Login status: not logged in
Live preview: off
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 4
Plugins enabled: 4
1: Callout Manager v1.0.1
2: Markdown shortcuts v0.4.0
3: Iconize v2.4.1
4: Linter v1.20.0

Additional information

Date property formatting depends on the device’s locale setting (which I believe is a language setting), so it seems those 2 devices have their locales set differently. There is a feature request to allow more control over the format.

1 Like

Hi @CawlinTeffid thanks for the reply. I checked what you suggested, I confirm that the settings of both the operating system and the Obsidian app are perfectly identical on iOS and macOS. Do you have a suggestion for solving this?

What do you think instead of the separator problem?

Same problem here. zh-cn locale but date is formatted mdy form. Changing Obsidian language didn’t help, and the option in daily note core plugin shows a standard YYYY-MM-DD format.

Obsidian window10 desktop treats the date as YYYY-MM-DD as expected.

Open this page using Safari on iOS. How does the date look like?

Screenshot here

The bottom border on the properties section seems to be just an inconsistency of style between the mobile and desktop versions of Obsidian — I see the same on mine now that you’ve mentioned it. You can use a CSS snippet to change it for now, and you could post a bug report about it if you like.

I followed your advice and after some tests I identified the elements to which an unnecessary border is added. The fix to correct is the following:

.metadata-property-key,
.metadata-property-value {
    border: none;
}

I hope it can be useful to others too :muscle:

1 Like

I tried opening the link from the iOS and macOS browser. This is the result:

Although the settings are identical on the devices, the date is shown differently.

Hi @WhiteNoise the result is different in the two cases, so is there no solution to align the behavior? Thanks.

+1 for the date formatting issue. I don’t think there’s a need to file a separate bug report?

Confirmed across multiple vaults:

iOS: Jan 20, 2024
macOS: 2024-01-20

If the locale is set correctly at mobile OS level and Safari doesn’t pick it up, it’s Apple’s problem.