The number of spaces a <tab> is assigned to should not influence the syntax parser in the editor

The fact that checkboxes are now rendered monospace in editor mode is definitely and improvement, but it seems like indented checkboxes don’t get the same treatment — admittedly, this is a minor issue, but I couldn’t find an existing bug report.

Steps to reproduce

In editor mode, create a checkbox list with several items, then indent some of the items in the list

Expected result

Both unindented and indented checkboxes rendered in the monospace font

Actual result

Only unindented checkboxes are rendered in the monospace font

Environment

• Operating system: Windows
  • Obsidian version: 12.3

Additional information

I can’t reproduce. Post a screen recording of this happening in the help vault.

Also your subtasks are not properly indented (too many spaces or tabs).

I’m just hitting tab to indent, I have Tab size set to 8, Smart indent lists is enabled, and Use tabs is enabled

I’ll post a recording shortly

The number of spaces matter in markdown.
This is properly indented

- aa
  - bb

This won’t work

- aa
       - bb

Just noticed that now, the default setting of 4 spaces works fine. Makes sense that the number of spaces matters.

I think most IDEs will allow you to change the number of spaces that a tab character is rendered as, while in the actual file there will be a \t instead of 4 spaces characters (or whatever you have it set to). I had assumed that it would work similarly in Obsidian, but it sounds like it is a constraint of the format to use only use spaces.

Might be worth revisiting if it makes sense to even have a setting that, if ever changed from the default value, has the potential to cause things to render poorly, but as far as this post goes it can be disregarded.

Thanks!

I agree with you.

will be fixed in 0.13.15

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.