Templater + Daily Note = Odd

I have installed and enabled Templater, and also enabled Daily Note.

As a test, I created a template in my template folder that looks like this:

<% tp.file.creation_date() %>

[[Dailies/<% tp.date.now(“YYYY-MM-DD”, -1) %>]] | [[ Dailies/<% tp.date.now(“YYYY-MM-DD”, 1) %>]]

If I open a note and insert this template, it comes out as I would expect:

2021-09-06 21:04

[[Dailies/2021-09-05]] | [[ Dailies/2021-09-07]]

However, if I use this template for the daily note and create the daily note, it is NOT what I expect:

<% tp.file.creation_date() %>

[[Dailies/<% tp.date.now(“YYYY-MM-DD”, -1) %>]] | [[ Dailies/<% tp.date.now(“YYYY-MM-DD”, 1) %>]]

I am certain I’ve done something dumb and that’s why it’s not working, but, as is the nature of dumb things, I can’t figure out what it is. Can anyone here shed some light on this for me?

Thanks!

1 Like

Problems getting Templater Plugin working

This may help you.

Perhaps the creation date is not available in the second case. Try this from my daily note template:

<%tp.file.title%>

[[Dailies/<%tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", -1, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>]] | [[Dailies/<% tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", 1, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>]]

This has the added benefit of emiting the correct links if you ever create a daily note on a day different than the note itself (e.g. creating tomorrow’s note ahead of time)

1 Like

I tried this and received the same kind of output: The contents of the template were inserted into the new note, but it looks like Templater never had the chance to interpret them.

I looked at this. I am using the command from the command pallette ‘Daily Notes: Open Today’s Daily Note’ during testing to trigger today’s daily note. When I trigger the template on its own, I do use the Templater command: Templater: Insert Template.

If the intent is to say that the Daily Notes plugin doesn’t interact with Templater and I should add the template after the fact, I could do that but I was hoping to understand why I would need to.

Maybe you forgot to enable the Trigger Templater on new file creation option.

4 Likes

I knew it was dumb! Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.