Template: Done tasks on creation date of a daily note

Hello all, I’m more or less a newbie with Obsidian and I’m having trouble doing a probably very easy thing to achieve, if you know how. I also tried searching forum for help, unfortunately I wasn’t very lucky.

Things I have tried

So what I did was this:

done on {{date:YYYY-MM-DD}}

What I got was:
Tasks query: do not understand done date

What works is

done on today

but then of course the output changed to the current date everytime I opened a daily note of the past.

What I’m trying to do

So all I want to do is to create a daily note template including my task done on the creation date of my daily note.

Any ideas for me?

Thank’s a lot.

1 Like

Hi @claudiarrr ! Are you using the core “Templates” plugin? I do this exact thing with my daily templates, and it looks like you have the right code. Here’s the code I use:

## Tasks
\```tasks
done on {{date:YYYY-MM-DD}}
\```

(without the slashes)

This is in my “Daily Notes Template” note. In that note, I also see the “Tasks query: do not understand done date” error, but when I insert the template into a note, it adds the correct date and works properly. The error only shows up in the template itself, not in the Daily Note once the template is inserted.

If you use Liam Cain’s calendar plugin it will even insert the correct date for past Daily Notes, which is quite handy for me. I typically use the calendar plugin to create daily notes, but it should work no matter how you create your daily note.

2 Likes

Hey @webinspect,

thanks a lot. Because all of the sudden - it works. Not sure why, but this is what I did:

Before I ALWAYS created my daily note with the plugin-button “Open today’s daily note” (opening the template through the plugin) or by clicking on the date on the calendar plugin.
I tried it again and again and it just did not work.

Then I created a random new note and inserted the plugin - and it worked, just like you said.

Then - again - I tried creating the daily note via the daily note plugin - and it just all of the sudden worked the way I wanted it to.

I did not change the code / the template so I’m not sure what’s going on but I won’t complain.

Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Excellent! Glad to hear it :partying_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.