Tab Close "X" move to left of tab

In macOS it it customary for the “X” to close tabs within apps be located on the left of each tab. I swear there is a apple design spec for this but I can not find it at the moment.

For example in finder, mail, terminal and safari when you have more then one tab you will see the “X” icon is left-most positioned on each tab.

I know this is a “little thing” but being constant makes for a seamless working experience.

Asking for either the default changed or the user option for left or right tab “x” buttons.

thanks in advanced

1 Like

Obsidian isn’t primarily a Mac app. Likewise, to use “seamless” as an argument, it should be self-consistent between all operating systems.

That said, as a workaround, it’s likely possible to change it with CSS. I don’t know how with the new theme scheme, but this is the title element:

<div class="workspace-tab-header-inner-title">Testing</div>

And this is the X element:

<div class="workspace-tab-header-inner-close-button" aria-label="Close"><svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" width="24" height="24" viewBox="0 0 24 24" fill="none" stroke="currentColor" stroke-width="2" stroke-linecap="round" stroke-linejoin="round" class="svg-icon lucide-x"><line x1="18" y1="6" x2="6" y2="18"></line><line x1="6" y1="6" x2="18" y2="18"></line></svg></div>
1 Like

Here’s a CSS snippet you can add and enable:

/* Move close button to the left of tab */

.workspace-tab-header-inner-close-button {
  order: -1;
}
2 Likes

Thank you @obsequious and @rigmarole

in the grand scheme of things this “issue” is not an issue. Personally when it comes to my work flows i can be a bit OCD (i’m sure others are as well). Obsidian is a fantastic app that i use and depend on nearly everyday.

Awesome solution!

Consider it closed (:

1 Like

Well, I’m equally annoyed. The close icon should be on the left for every OS: it’s just smarter as it’s faster to close a bunch of tabs in rapid succession. Apple did it right, everyone else is just stubborn haha.
Thanks for bringing it up so that I could also fix it for myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re rapidly clicking a bunch of little X’s, just use hotkeys. :slight_smile:

You know what’s faster than hotkeys?
“hotkeys when your hands are on the keyboard PLUS mouse affordances when your hands are on the trackpad”. I use all the shortcuts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.