System/ RAM requirements for Obsidian

I was running obsidian on my laptop with Intel i3 processor and 4 GB RAM but was experiencing frequent hanging of system and not able to run any other program, not even chrome, is there a minimum system requirement for this, is it listed somewhere?

I’m not aware of any technical requirements but it would depend a lot on how many notes you have and how long they are. Right now Obsidian isn’t designed for low-spec computers and our optimizations tend to favor consuming more CPU/RAM to improve the app’s experience, which may not work as great especially if you have low RAM that may cause swapping to happen frequently.

According to an answer from a couple of years ago, it seems to be a pretty low requirement:

Again this would all depend on whether you have 10 notes, or 100 or 1000, and of course your system spec. Also “i3” basically means a “low-end” processor for Intel, but over the years the performance factors differ widely (a modern i3 is likely 2-4x faster than an i3 from 2010). Given you only have 4GB of RAM I would assume your laptop is quite old.

2 Likes

It may help to disable the Graph View plugin and stick to only notes if your machine is having trouble!

1 Like

Hi there,
I want to reopen that thread.
I just realised, that my Obsidian has a very big RAM-usage: 700 MB.
I have around 8.000 files in my vault (not only .md, but all kind of files as Doc-Management-System).

Do you have any tipps, to lower that RAM-usage? Do I have too much plugins installed?

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.9
Installer version: v0.15.8
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: LYT Mode v1.6
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 40
Plugins enabled: 19
1: Dataview v0.5.55
2: Hider v1.2.4
3: Minimal Theme Settings v6.2.0
4: Advanced Tables v0.18.1
5: Vantage - Advanced search builder v1.4.2
6: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
7: Calendar v1.5.10
8: Excalidraw v1.8.14
9: Underline v1.2.1
10: Tag Wrangler v0.5.6
11: Outliner v4.2.1
12: Image Toolkit v1.3.1
13: Tasks v1.25.0
14: Omnisearch v1.11.1
15: Excel to Markdown Table v0.4.0
16: Keyboard Analyzer v0.1.3
17: Copy as HTML v1.0.6
18: Tracker v1.10.9
19: Annotator v0.2.10

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

700mb is likely the baseline. You can try to disable some plugin but I don’t think you can go much lower that that.