Sync works on desktop apps, but not mobile apps (but thinks it is syncing..)

Background:

I am using Obsidian sync across:

1. Windows PC
  2. Windows Laptop
  3. iPad Pro
  4. Samsung S22 Ultra

Obsidian sync is working properly across 1 & 2.
On 3 & 4, I have discovered a bug where Obsidian thinks it has the latest version file, but it shows an older version

Steps to reproduce:

1. Edit file Windows laptop or desktop
  2. Open file on Obsidian mobile (iOS/Android)
  3. See that it is showing an old version of the file
  4. Open version history on mobile
  5. See that Obsidian thinks this is the latest version of the file, and even the preview shows the correct data
  6. Click restore this version
  7. Restore this version says “This version is already the latest version”
  8. See that the file is still the old version
  9. Post on forums
  10. ???
  11. Profit!

Can you attach some screen recording and the sync logs?

Also attach the result of show debug info on both desktop and mobile.

Hey WhiteNoise!

I re-connected the sync, and it started performing a bit better.

I noticed the issue happen again, so I force quit the app on iOS and Android (I had the issue on both devices), and re-opened the apps.

After a few minutes (5 mins on Android to hit the right file, 3 minutes on iOS), it finally synced the files.

A couple of ideas:

1. Seems like it happens often when I have the Obsidian open in the background. This is default and common behaviour on iPad. On Android, this happens when using “keep open functionality”.

2. Is there a way to force a sync? Or maybe even prioritise a file, maybe put it top of queue? Can be annoying when I need the most upto date file ASAP such as when switching to mobile.

Let me know if screen recordings, sync logs and/or debug info still makes sense. I can get that for you.

Obsidian sync doesn’t work in the background on mobile.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.