Obsidian Mobile version: v1.0.3
Obsidian Desktop version: v0.12.10
Installer version: v0.12.4
This an alternative to Obsidian sync paid service, using SyncThing, a windows computer and an android phone. I will explain the process step by step so that you can see your Obsidian vault on both your phone and computer. It could be confusing at times and we will be turning between your laptop and phone throughout the steps, so it is important that you have both laptop and phone with you.
- Click on this link to open the page where you will find multiple downlods: Release Version 1.1.29 · canton7/SyncTrayzor · GitHub. You will scroll down and click in “SyncTrayzorSetup-x64.exe”.
- Then it will start downloading. Once it finishes, open the file. It will ask for some permissions. As long as you follow the instructions from the installer and you will be just fine.
- Once it is installed, the app wil open. You are going to have a section that is called “Folders” right in front of you. Click on the “+ Add Folder” Button.
- Assign a name to the folder, and it will create a file path for you.
- Now place the folder of your obsidian vault within this new Syncthing folder that you just created.
- Now go to your phone, opne the play store, search for SyncThing and install it. It will ask, again, for some permissions like storage and location for the syncing. Once you finish this setup, go to “Devices” and click on the “+” button in the right upper corner in your phone to add a device, and it will directly ask for the device’s ID. Click in the code-QR icon in the phone, it will open your camera to scan the ID of the device you want to add. Now in your computer go to “Actions” and select the option that says “Show ID”. Scan it, and a few moments later the computer will show you a message that ask your for permission to add this new device. Accept it. Now you have you computer and phone syncing!
- Go to your phone’s files and create a new folder with the name that you want.
- Remember the folder that we created for syncthing in your computer in step 4? Click on it in the syncthing computer app. it will display multiple options, it will look like this:
Clcik on “Edit” and go to “Sharing”. Select your phone as a device that you would like to share this folder with. Finally, click “Save”.
- In your phone, a notification will pop out asking for permission to accep the folder that your computer is sharing. Click on it and it will ask a folder within your phone to save this syncthing folder that the computer is sharing. Select the folder that you created in step 6.
- Go to the Obsidian app in your phone, select the option that says “Open folder as a vualt”, and search for your vault’s folder within the shared folder from Sycnthing.
- And there you have it! Now you have a secure option to sync your notes across devices.
Feel free to ask any questions that you have, I will be active in the forums waiting for any doubts. And also check out my guide to sync android-windows 10 with google drive if your are interested in a more simple way to sync, tho it could be less secure because … it’s google.