Sync is completely unreliable and unusable
Yesterday I had a lot of problems with syncing my large vault from Mac to IOS while doing massive updates on the Mac vault (moving hundreds of notes from folder to folder, etc…), so I concluded that it was too many updates for the sync process to keep-up.
Today I decided to start fresh. My Mac Vault (approx 5000 notes) is stable. Here is the scenario:
- I deleted the IOS app, reinstalled and restarted a new sync.
- The IOS sync takes a lot of time (3 hours… ) because every few minutes the IOS apps has to be manually resurrected, which is quite a pain for hours…
- In the meantime, I work on my Mac vault … a little. I updated maybe 20/30 notes, added a few. Not much.
- I closed my Mac (after checking that the Mac sync was fully done too).
- In the meantime, I DO NOT TOUCH my IOS Obsidian Vault. I just resurrect the app, so the sync process works. I do not add/update/delete anything on IOS during the sync.
- One hour later that IOS sync is finished. “fully synced”. No error. But I noticed that my daily page seemed strange.
- I checked on the Mac and I noticed that MANY of my notes on the Mac now have duplicated content. The same content twice… Some notes (those which I was working on, I guess) with a slightly different version, but also many notes that I did not update this morning have the same exact content twice.
Now I am going to waste hours to manually correct all those mess-up notes
I concluded that, even if I paid for it, Obsidian Sync is much too unreliable and dangerous to use right now. I cannot let Sync mess up some of my 5000 notes randomly. I can’t just “revert to backup” because I don’t know when and how some notes are messed-up amongst 5000 so it’s unpractical.
Obsidian 0.13.15 MacOS 12.0.1
Obsidian 1.05 IOS 15.1.1