Sync lost with settings change

Sorry if this has been covered or I am missing something, but I am a newbie. Every time I change a setting on a device (such as theme, or custom css, or plugin) the device loses its sync connection to the synched vault. I am synching EVERYTHING including plug-ins, themes, etc. And any time I change a setting on a synched device, the sync plugin turns itself off.

Is this normal behavior?

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

That isn’t normal behavior. If you’d like more help troubleshooting, may want to provide some more details. As in what do you mean by loses its connection? Does the plug-in disable, does the sync settings reset, or are you seeing errors in the sync log? And which device is showing this behavior, all devices, a single device, just the device you’re changing settings on, another device, etc?

Here is as much info as I can get to reproduce. Where are the log files? Since the Sync plugin is disabled every time, then I can’t show any Sync Activity except for the new sync process once I notice it is disabled and enable it again. That activity looks pretty normal.

Here’s my Hardware and versions, along with steps. Thank you!

Mac mini (M1, 2020)
Mac OS Monterrey 12.3.1 (21E258)
Obsidian Mac v0.14.2

iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)
iPad OS 15.4.1
Obsidian version 1.1.1 (48)
API v. 0.13.33

iPad mini (6th generation)
iPad OS 15.4.1
Obsidian version 1.1.1 (48)
API v. 0.13.33

iPhone 12 Pro Max
iOS 15.4.1

Steps to Recreate:

  1. Setup Obsidian Sync with same vault (existing on Obsidian Sync) on all four devices.
  2. Verify all four devices are synching properly.
  3. Verify a complete sync has occurred on all four devices.
  4. Quit Obsidian on all 4 devices. (On iOS and iPad OS, kill process by swiping up from application list screen)
  5. Launch Obsidian on Mac Mini
  6. Open settings and Sync plugin is disabled
  7. Launch Obsidian on iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)
  8. Open settings and Sync plugin is disabled
  9. Launch Obsidian on iPad mini (6th generation)
  10. Open settings and Sync plugin is disabled
  11. Launch Obsidian on iPhone 12 Pro Max
  12. Open settings and Sync plugin is disabled

That is very strange. I’ve not seen or heard of that happening myself.

A couple ideas to try.

  1. what happens when you setup a new local vault from scratch (any device) and connect it to your remote vault?
  2. what happens if you setup a new remote vault? Don’t need to put anything in it, just setup a new clean local vault, connect to a clean remote vault, then on another device create a new local vault and connect to the new remote vault.

(see Add another device)

If 1 works, you could try creating clean new local vaults and connecting to the existing remote vault. If 2 works, could then try seeding the vault with content from your old vault. This of course if you can’t find root cause.

Must have been somthing wrong with my obsidian configs in the .obsidian folder. I started from scratch, as in created new, empty vaults locally everywhere and then set up sync with a new empty vault on Obsidian Sync and connected all four devices. I then tested and all seemed well so brought in all my notes and folders (obviously not the .obsidian folder). All is well now.

Thank you for your help. Let’s give it a few hours, but I think it was something bad inherited from the old iCloud sync when I moved the folder locally and originally setup Obsidian sync a few days ago for the first time.


This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.