Support or a plugin chordpro format

I want to write songs in obsidian.
The linking system in Obsidian will be great to track how and what I write about as well as reveal areas to pursue.

I currently use a an iPad to display the chordpro format.
It would be great to have that ability to display the format correctly in view mode.

2 Likes

I second this request. I perform, and would like to have an Obsidian vault for my song collection. It would be so easy to make setlists, make edits on the fly, etc. Currently I use Songbook by Linkesoft on a tablet and sync with Dropbox. Obsidian would be really nice.

I did see “obsidian jTab” in the community plugins, by davfive.
However, recent version fails to load in current v obsid (0.14.6).

I found this
which looks very interesting.
I also found two ppl who wrote a chordpro to wordpress plugin. I emailed them, but did not get a reply. Here is another one

My coding skills are limited.
Perhaps we or with others could try to work on this together.
I have not tried to make a plugin, for obsidian, yet.
I have written several scripts for ahk but that is the extent of my coding.

Perhaps someone reading this could point us in the right direction?

Thanks!

Thanks for looking into this. My coding skills are limited too, and I don’t have time to learn how to build a plugin. I certainly don’t need chord diagrams over the lyric (I had the impression that’s what jtab does), just the name.
In the meantime what I can offer as a work-around is to convert your chordpro files to regular text files showing the chord on top of the lyrics. There are some batch converters that will do this for you - chordsmith is the one I use most. The catch is you need to display in a monospaced font so that the chord names line up.
But an actual chordpro viewer would be nice, since you can generally display the chords in a different colour, larger, etc. which is nice for performance.

I still wish to keep this thread alive.
jTab is way cool (and author fixed issue quickly) but I don’t see how I write lyrics in it too.
chordpro format would help.
I thought I would try using [] and just writing as text, however those brackets will cause a new note to be created if I click on them…

@genmce I am not familiar with the plugin, but just in case you hadn’t actually tried clicking on text within single brackets, it will not create a new note despite it taking on the same hue. I realize you probably meant double brackets, but figured I would mention this just in case.

Putting certain types of text in single brackets can be pretty helpful. I know some writers like to use the syntax for content they will create later, simply leaving a short paraphrased version of what might eventually fill the placeholder. As far as I know there shouldn’t be any issues with using this syntax freely as long as you don’t immediately follow it with a set of closed parentheses containing text. Doing so would make a markdown link and consequently make clicking it create the note.

Good luck with the songwriting. It kind of brings me back and makes me wonder if I should get back into it. Maybe I will have to boot up my old computer and fire up Reason 2.5. It has definitely been too long. Obsidian surely could serve well as co-producer, maintaining organization while keeping the many connections and inspirations a click away.

Thanks!

You are right, woops…
I started typing and saw the red mistook that for the double bracket.
Thanks for correcting me.
I hope you find your way back to songwriting.

1 Like

I’m still wanting this.
However, it does not appear that others are.

Hey, I was just wondering if this was possible in Obsidian and saw your thread. I’m sure there are probably plenty of others also wanting this, I for one would love some implementation of chordpro syntax. But I imagine it would be a fair bit of work for someone to implement so if you have zero programming skills like me there’s not a lot that I can offer.
I’m open to the idea of chipping in a few dollars if that would help (and if that is permissible on this forum)