Suggestions on how to manage data

Looking for some advice on how to store and collect data. The example I came up with is let’s say I have a template of live music shows. For every show I go to, I create a note with this template that collects info about the show. so should I create a note for every show in a folder and then use frontmatter to then search and compile the data, or do I create a table and add a line for each event? I am leaning toward the first option but wondering if there will be an issue with the organization. Thank you for any and all assistance!

1 Like

Having each show as a separate file makes it a whole lot easier to build queries and tables afterwards. It’ll also allow for personal annotations related to that particular event.

If you use a table you’re kind of stuck with that table, and it’s hard to present bits and pieces of it elsewhere if you’d like that at some point.

What kind of issue with the organization do you foresee?

My own personal solution to a similar problem, except my data is all Dungeons and Dragons, but for the 2nd Edition. I am nostalgic like that. For instance, in D&D, you have Wizard Spells and Priest Spells, and then there are Psionics. Let’s not forget monsters, either. Each of these things has its own note that goes in a specific folder. They all have specific data fields in the note and each of those fields has an equivalent frontmatter label, the name field goes with the name in the frontmatter, etc. I also have a template that links note fields with the front matter. So all I have to do is input the front matter, and the note fields are automatically populated with their data. Except for the description, which goes directly into the note. But this only works once, so if there is a change in the front matter that affects a note’s field it has to be updated manually.

Here’s where the dataview plugin comes in handy, I can make a dataview query to automatically build a table or a list based on a note’s front matter. This also makes it easy because if a new note is created the query dynamically updates.

1 Like

Each show is a separate entity, and you have detailed control over each entry. You can easily customize each note’s structure based on the show’s specific details. If you’re comfortable reading and editing plain text files, this method allows for easy manual editing.
However, it might require additional effort if you need to analyze or visualize data across multiple shows.