Stuck on Loading cache

Are you using Obsidian Sync? The notes are indexing every time I open Obsidian on Mac or iOS. I don’t have many notes (under 1000) but the app takes a long time to open.

Yes, I’m using Obsidian sync. Can that be causing it. I did find though that some plugins also seem to be playing a role. The app opened fine in restricted mode.

It’s working fine for me now. No idea what was causing it.

1 Like

I am having the same issue on Windows 11 and have tried everything from fresh intall to activitating and deactivating all plug ins and nothing sticks.

I am on Win10 and Obsidian no longer opens. Gets stuck on “loading cache.” In the past, if I reinstalled or open and closed a few times, it would eventually open. Now it doesn’t open at all. I have it trying to open the background and let it run for a few days to see what happens. I am currently using iA writer to navigate my vault. I hope this gets fixed at some point.

Solution on MacOS, possibly useful on Windows/Linux

I was able to clear out the cache by

1. Exiting Obsidian ← important
  2. going to the ~/Library/Application\ Support/obsidian/Cache/Cache_Data directory and remove all its files, either in the Finder:

or in the terminal with

if [[ -d ~/Library/Application\ Support/obsidian/Cache/Cache_Data ]] ; then
    rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/obsidian/Cache/Cache_Data/*
else
    echo "Something odd has happened"
fi
  1. Restarting Obsidian and voila!

I hope this helps

3 Likes

Thanks @wealthychef . I don’t have that folder or file except in the roaming folder. I deleted that, but no change.

I’m sure you realized it, but the key piece would be the obsidian/Cache/Cache_Data part; the rest is highly mac-specific. The equivalent folder must exist somewhere on your machine! :slight_smile:

Cheers, that’s all I know for now. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s what’s weird. No such directory or file—anywhere. I have an obsidian roaming folder I deleted, but that didn’t help. Thanks for trying.

Try the %%APPDATA%% directory. How Obsidian stores data - Obsidian Help

C:\Users\rcook>cd %APPDATA%\Obsidian\

C:\Users\rcook\AppData\Roaming\obsidian>dir
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 4607-95DA

Directory of C:\Users\rcook\AppData\Roaming\obsidian

12/21/2022  09:52 AM    <DIR>          .
12/21/2022  09:47 AM    <DIR>          ..
12/21/2022  09:47 AM    <DIR>          blob_storage
12/21/2022  09:47 AM    <DIR>          Cache
12/21/2022  09:47 AM    <DIR>          Code Cache
12/21/2022  09:51 AM    <DIR>          databases
12/21/2022  09:47 AM    <DIR>          GPUCache
12/21/2022  09:47 AM                32 id
12/21/2022  09:51 AM    <DIR>          IndexedDB
12/21/2022  09:47 AM               389 Local State
12/21/2022  09:47 AM    <DIR>          Local Storage
12/21/2022  09:47 AM                 0 lockfile
12/21/2022  09:48 AM    <DIR>          Network
12/21/2022  09:51 AM               121 obsidian.json
12/21/2022  09:47 AM                 0 obsidian.log
12/21/2022  09:52 AM                97 Preferences
12/21/2022  09:52 AM            40,960 QuotaManager
12/21/2022  09:52 AM                 0 QuotaManager-journal
12/21/2022  09:51 AM    <DIR>          Session Storage
               8 File(s)         41,599 bytes
              11 Dir(s)  248,776,716,288 bytes free

C:\Users\rcook\AppData\Roaming\obsidian>

Yes, that’s the one I deleted. Unfortunately, didn’t help. Frustrating.

1 Like

Have you tried removing the IndexedDB folder? If you use Obsidian Sync, you will have to connect it to the remote vault again. Alternatively you can delete just the -cache listings from within Obsidian and restart (in Developer tools).

If that doesn’t work, I’d get rid of that whole directory and reinstall. (Make backups of your vaults, etc)

1 Like

I know this may be another obvious thing, but have you tried renaming $VAULT_DIR/.obsidian to $VAULT_DIR/.obisidan.tmp and see if that fixes it? I don’t see that you’ve checked the possibility of a corruption somewhere there.
If that allows normal startup, then you know wehere the problem is physically on disk.

I just encountered this issue and this seems to help. Renamed the vault and copied back the plugins and themes. Seems to work.

@cs-mshah I am curious, how did you change the vault name? What do you mean by “copied back the plugins and themes?” I would like to try this but don’t want to create a mess. Thanks for the tips.

Sorry, I meant I renamed the .obsidian to .obsidian.tmp and copied back the plugins and themes. Basically I found that a few json files were causing the issue. So you can basically delete some of your json files and they will get regenerated. But anything works.

1 Like

Thank you. I will give this a try.

Has anyone actually managed to solve this once and for all?

Not yet

Has anyone else tried Divide and Conquer or Plugin Groups to narrow it down? I did but somehow wasn’t successful