Status Webpage Indicating Server Issues and Uptime

Use case or problem

Today, I was trying to log in to my Obsidian account on the website. But was met with a generic “Something went wrong, please try again later.” message. I tried to find information about whether or not it was down, or if I had done something wrong – but I couldn’t find such a thing.

Proposed solution

Create a /status or /health page on the Obsidian.md website and place a link to this webpage at places where users might encounter issues. The page would highlight any current issues with critical services such as, but not exclusive to:

  • Account management: For issues with logging into your account, payment issues for subscriptions, etc…
  • Obsidian Sync: For issues with the Sync servers being down or otherwise not in a functional state.
  • Obisidan Publish: Not sure about this one, as I haven’t used it. But I assume this requires an internet connection and an interaction with another server / service.

Current workaround (optional)

Current Solution: Check Discord or Forums.
Why this isn’t a long-term / valid solution:

  • Both on Discord and Forums issues might be buried in other messages or posts.
  • It is, in my opinion, also not suited for these kind of issues. Issues with online services could be automatically detected and displayed on a webpage. Which would reduce the amount of time where users are uncertain of what to do.

Other benefits:
If you were to also include uptime for these features / services on the same page, you could even use it as a KPI and marketing tool for obsidian and it’s premium services.

Note:
Down detectors online do not work, as the main website was still up, but you cannot log in and Obsidian Sync was down.

There are free websites that can do this too so Obsidian doesn’t have to spend money on these. One is UptimeRobot.com.

I use it and it works great. Completely free. So there is zero reason for them NOT to add this.

Yep, agreed. I’m not too fussed about how they want to implement it. As long as it’s available :slight_smile:

Very important feature for any paying customers relying on Sync and the like. +1

A person shouldn’t have to use forums to find the uptime and status of services. That’s not what forums are made for, and especially not Discord.

It’s available now

https://status.obsidian.md/

Nice! Looks good, and thanks for getting it up so quick!

I still do recommend placing the link (conditionally) near places it might be needed. For instance when a 5xx response is received when trying to login on the website.

we already had a different version of this page internally.