SSD wear by constantly writing to file system?

Call me pedantic and dismiss it… But at least we’ve discussed it :slightly_smiling_face:

Problem

I observed that Obsidian (at least on macOS) writes changes to files to the file system about every second. Although only a couple of characters has changed most of the time, the whole file is written to the file system.

I wonder if this contributes to heavy SSD wear.

Reasoning

Investigating something entirely different I came across this article from Apple’s developer support. It targets iOS, but IMHO applies to macOS as well.

It states among others:

iOS can only write to the same region of SSD a limited number of times before the disk wears out. The more writes an app makes, the faster it wears the drive.

Changing a serialized document requires rewriting the entire file, which increases the latency of the operation and the wear on the device.

Solution

I can think of a number of solutions:

1. Larger write intervals
  2. Manually triggered writing to disk (CMD+S)
  3. Auto save only on lost focus event
5 Likes

I think you are very professional

Current SSD in normal home usage should probably last long enough till other parts of the computer will broke :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

If you’re in our Discord community, check out this message: https://discordapp.com/channels/686053708261228577/694233507500916796/764095132583854090