Split Window hotkey behaves differently from Split Window Menu items

Steps to reproduce

1. In Obsidian preferences, set a hotkey for the “Split vertical” command.
  2. Open a note in the editor let’s call this note1
  3. Pin note1
  4. From the “3 dots” menu, select “Split vertically”. A new editor window is created with note1 also loaded. So there are now 2 editors both with note1 loaded
  5. Close the editor window that was just created by the split from the 3 dots menu
    6.Ensure note1 editor has focus, invoke the hotkey assigned in step 1. Notice that a new editor window is not created, instead, two new “panes” are created, each containing the “No file is open” message.

Expected result

Expected the behavior of the hotkey to be the same as invoking the split from the 3 dots menu.

Actual result

A new editor window is not created, instead, two new “panes” are created, each containing the “No file is open” message. Note that Split horizontal has the same weird behavior

Environment

• Operating system: MacOS 10.15.4
  • Obsidian version: 0.6.4
  • Using custom CSS: No

Additional information

1 Like

Can’t repro. @WhiteNoise can you repro?

Did you remember to Pin the note before using the hotkey? That seems to be what causes it in my case, both in Source, and Preview modes.

I don’t see any errors reported in the console when this happens. Is there a log, or a value, or something from the app object that I could print/inspect and provide you to help trouble shoot?

I could also do a screen recording, I don’t know if that would help though.

@Silver yes, I can reproduce!

Yes, sorry, I missed the pinning step @shydlou. Thanks for catching this!

1 Like

when the first note is not pinned both shortcut and menu item behave in the same way.

if the first note is pinned, the keyboard shortcut produces two empty panes.

2 Likes

Steps to reproduce

1. Pin a note
  2. Split horizontal or vertical using a hotkey (either from control+p and selecting it from there, or your keyboard shortcut; seems to work fine when using the menu option)

Expected result

1. It should split a horizontal or vertical pane

Actual result

1. It creates two empty panes

Environment

• Operating system: mac osx
  • Obsidian version:0.7.3
  • Using custom CSS:y

Additional information

Will be fixed in v0.7.5

1 Like