Spellcheck fails to suggest corrections on MacOS

Steps to reproduce

1. Open sandbox vault.
  2. Open “Start Here” note.
  3. Anywhere in the note, type the misspelled word “constnats”.
  4. Obsidian marks the misspelled word with a red-squiggle. Right click the word, and see that no suggestions are offered.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes

Expected result

Obsidian should suggest “constants” as a correction. This is the behaviour of other word processing programs on the same computer (e.g., Word, Textedit).

Actual result

Obsidian gives no suggestions.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.11
Installer version: v1.5.11
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.3.0: Wed Dec 20 21:30:44 PST 2023; root:xnu-10002.81.5~7/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 23.3.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

“Constnats” is just one example - this happens with many misspelled words.

Obsidian for iOS does not have this problem - it either autocorrects misspelled words or makes useful suggestions.

can you post a screen recording of this not working in the sandbox vault? thanks

Thanks for the reply, @WhiteNoise. I’ve tried to upload it as a zipped m4v, please let me know if this format works or if you prefer a different format.

constnats.m4v.zip (490.2 KB)

ok, and it works in textmate?

Does it happen with all words or just some?

@Whitenoise, it only happens on some words. For many words, Obsidian gives a good suggestion. I don’t have a list of “bad” words, but I will start to build one if it helps.

I don’t use TextMate but I just downloaded it. That program doesn’t even recognize “constnats” as a misspelled word.

Sorry, I meant textedit.

Yes, in TextEdit it works correctly, suggesting two reasonable options.