Special character in *.md filename results in dead vault

This bug report is mostly actually a compliment!

Short version: ‘’ character at the beginning of a *.md filename (dragged into my Obsidian vault folder) resulted in a ‘blank’ vault. I could load other vaults in the Obsidian session, but trying to get into this one resulted in an apparent total lack of files. Dragging that file back out yielded a completely functional vault again.

Restrictions on filenaming seem totally understandable, but the lack of warning message was confusing/scary. I spent some time removing large files before noticing the bad filename was the problem.

Long version: I extracted and batch-converted ~1-2K worth of notes from Evernote. This resulted in some deeply unwise filenames. I decided to just dump everything in and sort it out later. After some experimentation, the file with the following name broke everything:

_Participants_(sometimes)_exploit_dependencies_hidden_in_Latin_Square_designs.md

Here are some filenames that DID NOT break Obsidian, congratulations!

!!!Can_we_surface_metadata_but_not_stimuli…md
(M-5-38_vs-4-47;_t(100)-2-43,_p-0…md
•-ScOrE_2019!!!.md
[email protected]@[email protected]

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: [Consolidation]: Handling of Invalid filenames created outside Obsidian