Sort by Created time doesn't work

I had realized this issue the last time i was sorting my existing files in a new vault but hadn’t given it much thought then. this time when i actually tested out in a fresh vault it seems that this is a genuine bug and not some corruption of my personal file metadata.

I prefer to have my files all in my root folder and sorted with the newest at the top. So i was playing around making a new dummy vault when i realized this issue.

Steps to reproduce

  • Make a new vault.
  • Create a few new files.
  • Name each file as a number chronologically in order to be able to keep track later on.
  • Once you have around 10-15 files, sort the files by “Created time (new to old)”.
  • Interestingly enough “Created time (old to new)” works pretty well but new to old seems to have some issues. This leads me to believe that there isn’t any corruption of individual file metadata but rather the sorting algo has some issue.

Another thing that I realized here was that when i change the sorting order a glitch occurs. For eg i continuously added new files until number 12 in a brand new vault. after that i changed the sort to (old to new) and then (new to old). then i started to add more files and this was the final result of both old to new and new to old.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide?

Y

This is the result of testing in the sandbox vault and sorting file using Created Time (new to old):


(1 was the first file to be created and 10 was the most recent so should have been at the top.)

Result after changing the file sort order to (old to new) and then back again to (new to old) and then adding more files (11-18):

Actual result

Created Time (old to new)

Created Time (new to old)

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.12
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows 10 Home Single Language 10.0.19045
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: adapt to system
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none


Additional information

i don’t know how but somehow changing the file sorting method makes the sort brake again. in my current daily use vault the files seem to work well and are getting sorted. I’m not sure about this but it might be that the difference between some times is being used to perform some calculation and somewhere a difference threshold is not getting satisfied to perform the sort correctly.

All i can say is that the issue is algorithmic since I’m getting the same sort every time.

I did some tests and they both old to new and new to old are broken on windows.
Either we messed up something with sort or we are not getting the correct values from the OS.

Sorting files in left navigation column doesn’t work on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 either. Choosing any sort option just leaves the default sorting unchanged — # to A to Z in English, then # to A to Z in second language.

Obsidian Version 1.5.12 (Installer 1.4.16)