Slow Typing - To Mars and back

First, search the help docs and this forum. Maybe your question has been answered! The debugging steps can help, too. Still stuck? Delete this line and proceed.

What I’m trying to do

I’ve done some reading on this and just want to confirm with others that there isn’t anything more I can do. I’ve resigned myself, with my 66000 notes that Evernote breezed through, that my Obsidian vault, despite appearing locally on my hard drive is actually on Mars and text I type in has to get there and back before I see it. I can easily type 10 words before the first appear and this is a pretty intense gaming and 3D rendering system with the latest i9, 32Gb RAM, SSHDs with plenty of space and I have the latest version of the program and all plugins. It is faster with an empty vault so I believe I’ve just overwhelmed it. I just want to confirm that really 60k plus notes is too much for Obsidian and if anyone else has a way to reference notes in large vaults (or ways to do it between vaults…symlinks or something like that?) I’d love to hear it.

Things I have tried

1 Like

Here’s my Show Debug Info: SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.5
Installer version: v1.3.5
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22621
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Blue Topaz v20230723
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 35
Plugins enabled: 32
1: Excel to Markdown Table v0.4.0
2: Templater v1.16.0
3: Calendar v1.5.10
4: Chronology v1.1.7
5: Enhancing Mindmap v0.2.5
6: Dataview v0.5.56
7: Map View v4.0.0
8: Importer v1.1.2
9: Natural Language Dates v0.6.1
10: QuickAdd v1.2.1
11: Periodic Notes v0.0.17
12: Emoji Toolbar v0.4.1
13: Metadata Menu v0.5.2
14: DB Folder v3.4.0
15: Console Markdown Plugin v1.0.2
16: Minimal Theme Settings v7.2.2
17: Hider v1.3.1
18: Style Settings v1.0.6
19: Auto Link Title v1.4.1
20: Better Word Count v0.10.0
21: Commander v0.5.0
22: Full Calendar v0.10.7
23: Link Favicons v1.8.1
24: Contacts v1.2.0
25: Plugin Update Tracker v1.5.2
26: Recent Files v1.3.8
27: Supercharged Links v0.10.0
28: Workspaces Plus v0.3.3
29: JSON/CSV Importer v0.31.1
30: Image Gallery v1.1.1
31: Kanban v1.5.3
32: Tracker v1.10.9

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

1 Like

Can you confirm you’ve followed the troubleshooting steps just so we have a baseline here?

Your debug info should read as having no community plugins enabled while using the default theme.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Custom theme and snippets: for cosmetic issues, please first try updating your theme and disabling your snippets. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community theme and snippets.
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Thanks, yes. I tried those things and sure, it helped a bit. That’s not what I asked. I’m just seeking confirmation that, with a setup that makes it useful, Obsidian really isn’t going to be effective with so many notes. I would expect that an empty, naked version would work better than one with Community Plugins and a load of files but then, why have those options.

One thing I thought of that might help, if indeed the issue is too many files, is to turn off sync while I’m working Obsidian and turn it back on when I’m working on something else and again that too seems to help a bit, it’s still not like typing in Word. All leads me to believe that 66k files is too much for this.

@appressman if it’s useful information for you, here is a benchmark with videos on a vault with 100,000 notes:

1 Like

Looking at the list of plugins installed, I’d say DataView may not keep up or has not finished indexing?

I understand this is not a bug report and 66k files is a lot, but you really need to try in restricted mode (if nothing else) to see how Obsidian runs.

1 Like

dataview is usually the culprit when I experience slowdown with many files, and it’s usually a matter of getting as specific with FROM as possible before running any WHERE operations

Thanks for the tips. I found that typing is about half faster. Still not as responsive as any other app I use. it’s probably a mix of plugin overhead and just too many notes. I reviewed the benchmark video provided with 100k notes and the one thing I didn’t see them test was typing responsiveness. That’s my only complaint. The indexing is clearly working as almost any note I search for among the 66k appears before I finish typing out the search. It’s just typing that’s sluggish.

They type in a note at 2:13 — looks normal. They also type in the quick switcher, search box, and note title at various times and all look normal.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.