Sliding Panes (Andy Matuschak Mode) Plugin

Sorry if this is a very basic q, but is there a way to fix the main (left most) leaf while enabling sliding windows?

Nice plugin! However, I seem to lack a shortcut to open in new pane. Cmd + clicking on a link does not open in new pane, it replaces the current note. I can only do it by right clicking and then clicking on “Open in new pane”. Any clues?

1 Like

I love this plugin, but one little thing annoys me a lot, and that is when I hover to the right, and click on the pane to edit it, it resets the animation, the panel goes to the side and slides all the way again.

Is there a way to change this? It breaks with the fluidity of the panes

thank you!

2 Likes

My panes are no longer sliding! Is this due to a conflict with an existing community package? Could someone recommend any steps for debugging (NB I’m on the latest insider build)

1 Like

Pardon me. I fixed it be uninstalling and reinstalling - the old chestnut.

+1 on this. Would love to know how to fix this. Thanks for the hard work! Everything else works like a charm!

HORIZONTAL SPLIT PANES …limited to version 3.0.2…

First off… This is a really useful plugin -thank you so much.

Usage Application
I use horizontal split panes for editing in the upper pane, then in the lower pane I have previewing and/or other panes.
I like to have many notes open at once. This plugin allows me to stage a lower pane in a vertical one, with practically any number of

• a single preview pane,
  • additional panes for related notes, or whatever

After searching seemingly everything possible, it seems that if you want to use “horizontal split panes”, it is only viable up to version 3.0.2. After that I have had no luck making that work.

Usage scenario:
…from the command pallete

• horizontally spilt any vertical pane
  • link the new pane below with the one above
  • change the lower one into view mode
  • Shift-Scroll to navigate to other vertical pane “workspaces”
    Options:
  • split the lower pane into other panes, horizontally or vertically, and populate those with various related notes
  • I found out I can even split the upper pane vertically …but I do not have a consistent method for doing that yet

I hope this is helpful to others.
I hope a future version brings this feature back.
Thanks again.
R Twohawks

4 Likes

I totally agree. I would like to have the ability to have horizontal and vertical panes, as you described. I’m not sure it is feasible. For now, when I have multiple notes I need to work on or reference, I toggle on the sliding panes. Then I toggle it off when I need/prefer the horizontal layout.

Hi @cruisnick and @death.au was this fixed? I am trying to create the exact same setup and I can’t get the sliding pane view with the split note/local graph setup. The note/local graph just have titles on top and don’t stack/hide. Thanks!

Thanks for the plugin, I really enjoy it.

One little nagging frustration, though:

I can choose the text to be either horizontal or vertical. However, it would be great that there’s a third option to make the text vertical for currently hidden/collapsed panes, and horizontal for those that are in view (or at least for the focused one).

Another quality of life improvement would be the ability to preview the vertical title of a collapsed pane in horizontal, when hovering with the mouse pointer over the title. The title would pop-out in horizontal.

This would help by avoiding the need to rotate my head all the time so that I can actually read the document title–or keep all the titles horizontal, and then being unable to read them on collapsed panes.

1 Like

@AND : Good ideas! I love using the sliding panes sometimes and very much appreciate it as is. But your post gave me the idea to try to create a font with characters rotated 90 degrees clockwise. It could be installed into system fonts then defined to be used only for these vertical note titles via a css snippet. Maybe it already exists.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi, all, I’m new to Obsidian. My current Obsidian version is v0.12.10, and my Sliding Panes version is v3.2.3. I think this version doesn’t work with Obsidian, I couldn’t slide anything. And also, when I toggle on sliding panes and rotated headers, nothing happens. The header is still at the top. Has anyone experienced this ?

3 Likes

Hi, I am a but confused, if this is not possible, or if I configured something wrong.

If I pin a tab, I don’t want the sliding panes to “slide over” that pinned tab, but stack on the relative side? Is that possible? :slight_smile:

I really wanted this and found that if I click and drag left-or-right using my scroll wheel on my mouse it does it beautifully :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, but I’m using v0.12.19 and just installed this plugin and it doesn’t seem to be working as shown the animated gif(s).
The “stacking” doesn’t seem to be present (even though that button is toggled) and I checked that the “Toggle Sliding Panes” switch for this plugin is enabled.
I was quite excited at first because this was one of the things about Obsidian that really caught my eye but now it’s not working. : /
Thanks in advance for any advice …

1 Like

Is it possible to do this?

I would like to split sliding panes horizontally with Andy Mode. I have seen it in some YouTube videos and someone here said it was previously possible. Unfortunately enabling the sliding panes messes up the screen if split panes are present. If trying to split a pane when Andy mode is already enabled it does the split but hides the panes.

Does the developer read this forum? I think making a bug report or feature request in GitHub would be a good way to alert them, but I don’t have account yet and it seems a bit involved.

1 Like

Looking forward for splitting horizontally, not sure if it is already possible, but when I try this while having opened several panes I get really strange behavior, some of them disappear until I close my opened ones

1 Like

Question: Is it possible to have a feature to toggle the requirement for ctrl+click to open it new pane while in preview mode?. For eg: Single click will open it new pane, while ctrl click will open it same pane?

Enjoying this plugin and have used it over a year. Currently, (v0.14.5) with Sliding Panes (3.2.3) I can use about 12 open panes then the panes start breaking down (eg no content visible anymore, vertical titles disappearing, text overlays on half of the pane). The theme doesn’t seem to be the issue as the symptoms occur also with the default theme. Up to 10-12 panes everything works flawless. I’m under the impression that I could use more panes a little while ago (I have workspaces with 15+ panes.) Can’t exclude interaction with other pugins (i’m using 30). Just curious: do other user have issues beyond say 12 panes?