Simple utility for working with vim (and taskwarrior)(on mac)

Hello forum! I created this simple utility plugin for my self to make it easier to work with Obsidian and Vim together, and thought I should share it in case it might be of use to someone else: https://github.com/mountwebs/obsidian-vim-utility

The plugin adds two commands in Obsidian:

1. Open current note with MacVim.
  2. Process note with NeoVim. It opens the current note with nvim in the background, writes and closes it.

The commands are in other words quite specific to my setup and to mac, but the plugin can easily be modified to work with other applications.

I created the plugin more specifically to work with my setup with vim, vimwiki, taskwarrior and taskwiki. I was using vimwiki with taskwarrior and recently startet using Obsidian on my vault/wiki, and I wanted a way to combine Obsidian and taskwarrior in my workflow. In my case I use the second command to update the note with taskwarrior. The solution is a hacky and far from optimal. It does, however, make it easier for me to work with obsidian and taskwarrior, and I hope it can come to use for someone else too. A way better solution would of course be to implement something similar to taskwiki (witch is awesome!) directly in Obsidian, but I don’t have the skill or time to to that.

I should also add that I’m new to software development and TypeScript. Use this at your own risk;)

3 Likes

Also: I would like to open a new terminal window to the current note with NeoVim rather than with MacVim. But I couldn’t find a way to do that. If anyone knows how to do that, please share:)

This might help you: Open note in Obsidian from within Vim and vice versa

Just replying for reference and bumps. Amid taskw user here. Changing my workflow currently to obsidian, tasks flowing inside notes is just too good. Dreaming of CalDAV integration ever since (for tasks for both obsidian and taskw). Gotta crank up my own skills…