Simple spaced repetition plugin

I hope this feature gets developed. Integration of ANKI with OBSIDIAN gives the best of the two worlds.
Literally they each excel at their own thing and while Remnote can do both, it is not the greatest in either. Having a program that helps you recall some of the knowledge sounds amazing

2 Likes

The developer of Neuracache (mobile flashcards/ SRS app) has added markdown support specifically so that Obsidian users can develop an SRS system. He posted in the forum recently: (🎥 video) Obsidian Flashcards and Spaced Repetition

I’m testing it now and it’s been excellent so far. It’s allowing me to pretty much automate my flow. I really liked the idea of Mochi but 1) I’d rather use Obsidian for everything, and 2) it was a little more manual than I liked.

4 Likes

At the moment, it looks like markdown support is limited to iOS. I’m on Android and not seeing that option appear.

Oh weird - my phone is iOS, but I’m also able to install it in on my Android tablet. @IdeaRoots would love your input, I think you’re currently working on an Android app

1 Like

Just found their post in the r/NeuraCache subreddit, from two days ago:

Hey, expect this in ~2 weeks :+1:.

2 Likes

yup, can confirm, expect this in ~2 weeks

2 Likes

Hi,

I am trying to integrate Obsidan and Anki. And I also think if Obsidan can create a Anki-Plugin would be great.

My workflow is

1. Take notes based on Zettelkastan method, forexample, a note “ Mynotes.md ”;
  2. Copy the notes to Typora and output these notes in html format , forexample a note “Mynotes.html” ;
  3. Open these notes with html format in Chrome browser ;
  4. Press ‘F12’ , and copy all the html codes;
  5. Paste the html codes in step 4 to the Anki. Please note that you should paste html codes to the html enviroment of Anki.
  6. Enjoy Anki

Why I need the notes with html format?

Because my notes have many equations written in Mathjax and Latex, when I transfom my markdown notes to html notes and then copy the html codes to Anki, I can have an Anki note with same style in the markdown editor of Obsian

1 Like

Android 2.2 is out, here is a walkthrough

1 Like

@zhixiangcai You may be interested in a script I made that adds notes from Obsidian to Anki. It supports mathjax (and has many other features you may be interested in)!

Forum link

2 Likes

@zhixiangcai: I can confirm that @Pseudonium’s script works well. And he is very patient and helpful if you run into an issue.

Full disclosure: I have no relation with @Pseudonium whatsoever, I just enjoy the script and how he helped me set it up.

1 Like

There is also this one: https://forum.obsidian.md/t/i-made-a-script-to-convert-notes-to-anki-cards/4731/12

2 Likes

I really like Obsidian but one thing that draws me towards Remnote and distinguishes it, is its spaced repetition feature. Could that be implemented in Obsidian?

9 Likes

Hopefully, the API will support Andy Matuschak’s Orbit software

I’m in the same boat, I migrated my writing and thinking from RemNote to Obsidian, but the spaced repetition is really nice in RemNote.
Hopefully something can be developed soon, so that we would not have to use RemNote.

1 Like

I created an SR plugin for note-level spaced repetition. If you’re interested, check it out here.

1 Like

RemNote’s Flashcard system(IEP :: Individualized Education Plan) so cool. If Obsidian get it, it’s sooo powerful thinkg and studying tool.

@Pseudonium 's plugin can already do everything that RemNote does (minus image occlusion). Just use the cloze paragraph style regex for everything.

A lot of people seem to overestimate RemNote’s SRS system. The idea behind it (concept/descriptor framework) is absolutely genius but the implementation is still extremely buggy and unreliable, at least for me. I prefer to keep all of my cards in one single and stable system (Anki).

I agree to some extent. I’ve been playing around with RemNote for a while now, but every now and then there’s some weird, unexpected behavior showing up - and I’m not at all 100 % sure all my Rem are kept and presented for repetition at the right time.
I’d gladly switch to Obsidian the very moment an android app is provided and there’s some stable plug in is available that indeed does the job in a reliable fashion. 90 % of my work happens on android (tablet and phone connected) - so for me it makes no sense at the moment to set up mainly windows based system. But I hope that’ll be on the way soon, I’m a heavy dynalist user for years already (practically all my life sits in dynalist) and so I have a lot of trust in the developers from knowing what really great and highly functional and stable things they’re able to build.

As for Anki, unfortunately adding cards to a multitude of stacks is a real pain and everything but efficient, some SRS bugs have occured lately as well.

I definitely agree, having all cards in one system is absolutely crucial to make it work efficiently. And to be frank, there’s no way around a Spaced Repetition System for any kind of knowledge work - cause one’s own brain is a thousand times faster than any well-thought out technical linking or networking structure, when it comes to retrieving or connecting dots of information. What you know is available within milliseconds - without clicking or searching anything and it connects much better.

1 Like

Here it is another approach to solve the problem of SRS on Obsidian.

3 Likes

i’m so happy i could scream. After many MANY months of trying to get Anki and Obsidian to work harmoniously for me (I was on the verge of giving up and moving to linux and living in vim or emacs entirely… the desperation was real lol) this Flashcards plugin finally works for me. And works surprisingly well I might add!
Everything’s going smoothly, I can input flashcards from pretty much anywhere in Obsidian without it getting in the way, it’s really EXACTLY what I was wanting.

3 Likes