«Show in system explorer» does not focus explorer sometimes

There’s two cases when «Show in system explorer» does not work as intended.

1. When you freshly start obsidian, for example when opening a vault, or restarting the program, then the first call to «Show in system explorer» starts the explorer behind the Obsidian window, not gaining focus.

8vu3utX.gif

1. When you already used the «Show in system explorer» feature once, further calls do properly open the window upfront BUT – if there’s already opened explorer window, it does not gain focus.

SJav0wt.gif

Please note:

Expected result

I expected Obsidian to always focus the explorer window when using «Show in system explorer» feature.

Actual result

Depending on certain use-case, explorer window does not gain focus. I found two cases when it happens (fresh start, and when an explorer window already opened).

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
	Obsidian version: v1.5.3
	Installer version: v1.5.3
	Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045
	Login status: not logged in
	Insider build toggle: off
	Live preview: on
	Base theme: adapt to system
	Community theme: none
	Snippets enabled: 0
	Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
	none

thanks.

1 Like

When displaying a show in system explorer, I wish there was a pop-up at the top of the screen… is it possible?

Now the popup doesn’t open, it just opens. hidden in the bottom

6 Likes

+1

In Windows, I see the same behaviour (including the latest Obsidian). It opens the window to the bottom. In contrast, if I “Show in Explorer” in the Perforce P4V client, the Windows explorer window does pop to the front. (That’s the only example app I can think of.)

In MacOS, Finder already does pop to the front.

4 Likes

I would classify this is as a bug. “Reveal”/“Show” should never result in something appearing beneath existing windows.

4 Likes

+1
This problem has been bothering me for a long time!

4 Likes

does anyone know a fix for this maybe? like an extension/plugin/…

should be fixed in v1.5.4

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.